setting ps raw plugin

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 5, 2005 4:20:14 PM

I am shooting in raw format with the Canon G3. When I open the files
in the photoshop CS plugin, is there a way to apply the same settings
to the file that would have been applied in camera in terms of
exposure, white balance, contrast, etc.

I am confused as to whether the setting "camera default" represents
the in camera setting or a standard for the camera regardless of the
shooting conditions.

I am also confused as to what the white balance setting "as shot"
means the automatic whit balance or no white balance.

Thanks for the info
=================
Delete "abc" to reply by email.

More about : setting raw plugin

Anonymous
January 5, 2005 6:42:50 PM

wdh@esle.net wrote:

> I am shooting in raw format with the Canon G3. When I open the files
> in the photoshop CS plugin, is there a way to apply the same settings
> to the file that would have been applied in camera in terms of
> exposure, white balance, contrast, etc.

The settings that appear *are* suggested by the camera. But they are
very easy to change- ie. adj. white balance in large or small
increments, increase-decrease exposure, etc.

There's also a click button to apply the settings to the subsequent
images' conversions, when you open subsequent RAW files.

Russell Brown makes a nifty script for production, as well.

> I am confused as to whether the setting "camera default" represents
> the in camera setting or a standard for the camera regardless of the
> shooting conditions.
>
> I am also confused as to what the white balance setting "as shot"
> means the automatic whit balance or no white balance.

As shot means (I think!) what was set on the camera, whether auto white
balance, or a setting. IAE, it's either right, or not. (!)....so it
hasn't been that important to me to know definitively.

--
John McWilliams
Anonymous

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 13:20:14 -0600, wdh@esle.net wrote:

>I am shooting in raw format with the Canon G3. When I open the files
>in the photoshop CS plugin, is there a way to apply the same settings
>to the file that would have been applied in camera in terms of
>exposure, white balance, contrast, etc.

This is the default behavior. Sharpening, exposure, white balance,
tint all start out at whatever the camera was set to (at least, it
does on the D70 NEF files).

>I am confused as to whether the setting "camera default" represents
>the in camera setting or a standard for the camera regardless of the
>shooting conditions.

Don't know. But if you are trying to match a set of shots to be merged
into a panoramic for example, you should manually set the color temp
of each of those shots to be the same.

>I am also confused as to what the white balance setting "as shot"
>means the automatic whit balance or no white balance.

This means automatic if that's what the camera was set to at the time
of shot. It means whatever the camera was set to. In auto mode, the
camera makes a decision at the time of shot and stores this as it's
'as shot' white balance setting in the RAW file. If your camera was
set to 'Flash' white balance at the time of the shot, then 'As Shot'
setting would be the same as 'Flash'. If your camera was set to
'shadow' then 'as shot' would be the same as 'shadow' etc...

--
Owamanga!
January 5, 2005 10:37:28 PM

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 13:20:14 -0600, wdh@esle.net wrote:

> I am shooting in raw format with the Canon G3. When I open the files
> in the photoshop CS plugin, is there a way to apply the same settings
> to the file that would have been applied in camera in terms of
> exposure, white balance, contrast, etc.

No. ACR ignores all camera settings except initial white balance.

> I am confused as to whether the setting "camera default" represents
> the in camera setting or a standard for the camera regardless of the
> shooting conditions.

It means the default ACR settings for the camera. Nothing to do with the
settings on the camera itself.

> I am also confused as to what the white balance setting "as shot"
> means the automatic whit balance or no white balance.

It means just that - whatever WB the camera used for the exposure. ACR
doesn't know or care how it was set, just what it ended up as.

--
John Bean

All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors (Anon)
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 4:23:34 AM

On 1/5/05 1:20 PM, in article s0fot0ddmjn35vip8h2a01pf4ldiq6t489@4ax.com,
"wdh@esle.net" <wdh@esle.net> wrote:

> I am shooting in raw format with the Canon G3. When I open the files
> in the photoshop CS plugin, is there a way to apply the same settings
> to the file that would have been applied in camera in terms of
> exposure, white balance, contrast, etc.
>
> I am confused as to whether the setting "camera default" represents
> the in camera setting or a standard for the camera regardless of the
> shooting conditions.
>
> I am also confused as to what the white balance setting "as shot"
> means the automatic whit balance or no white balance.
>
> Thanks for the info
> Delete "abc" to reply by email.
"Camera Default" means that ACR is applying specific settings for your
specific camera's profile as stored in ACR. The exception to this is white
balance which comes in "as shot" which means the initial white balance that
you see is either what the camera automatically set or what you manually set
in the camera prior to exposure.
Chuck
!