Took out the CPU, now I can't put it back in....[Solved]

resync

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
First i should say I have a Gigabyte GA-M56S-S3 motherboard, and I am pretty sure that's where the problem is, even though I can't fix it.

My computer has a chronic history of overheating - which means often I had to clean the dusts out of the computer. (which I guess I should be doing anyways)

Long story short, I may have bent a few pins on my cpu when I tried to put it back in the first time, then I more-or-less fixed the bent pins with a knife. Then I noticed the real problem (or at least I think I noticed the problem) : on the GA-M56S-S3 boards, there's a CPU lock thing.

ga-m56s-s3.jpg

Notice the metal bar beside the board. Apparently when it's pushed down it slides laterally and locks down the cpu...

However, since I now have a heatsink and fan attached to the CPU, I can no longer install it with it unlocked. Does anyone know if that really is my problem, or how to fix it? If I need to detach the CPU from the heatsink, how do I remove the adhesive between them? Is there any tips on how to put it back?

(Btw - the actual symptom is when I turn the computer on, no beep comes out, and although I hear the harddrive whirs and graphics card fan is on, nothing shows up on screen.)

Solution
You can usually get a stuck CPU off by grasping the sides and twisting it off as if it were screwed to the cooler. But as acer0169 said, with your symptom, most likely game over for that CPU.

Computers usually shouldn't overheat at all if you have a sufficient CPU cooler and overclock it, or if you don't OC it and have the stock cooler. You should check on that or put your PC somewhere less dusty and get some filters on the intake fans of your system.

acer0169

Distinguished
You need to take the CPU off the cooler. The adhesive isn't actually adhesive but thermal compound. You can just pull the CPU off, or VERY GENTLY use a blade to ease it off.

Just a suggestion though: If you're really this uneducated when it comes to the components in your computer, I'd suggest you take apart and play around with a spare or scrap computer before killing your main machine. Bending pins on a CPU is normally game over - new CPU needed. You're lucky.

kureme

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
You can usually get a stuck CPU off by grasping the sides and twisting it off as if it were screwed to the cooler. But as acer0169 said, with your symptom, most likely game over for that CPU.

Computers usually shouldn't overheat at all if you have a sufficient CPU cooler and overclock it, or if you don't OC it and have the stock cooler. You should check on that or put your PC somewhere less dusty and get some filters on the intake fans of your system.

Solution