Sign in with
Your question

Crashing, and 2 ram slots not working

Last response: in Motherboards
August 19, 2011 2:18:45 AM

Hello guys, I wanted to know what might be wrong with my system. I believe my problem is either my Ram, or my Motherboard. I have 2 problems, one, 2 ram slots aren't working with my ram (system won't start up), but when I put the ram in the other 2 slots the system works.

The second problem is crashing, my computer crashes when I watch videos/run disk defrag or any program that has a heavy load. When it crashes I hear these weird buzzing/tearing noises in my headphones (note: its not beeps like when something isn't installed on the motherboard).

It happens the most when I'm watching YouTube videos. I know its not my video card because I switched them out with a different video card that worked in the past, and was getting the same problems. Any help would be great, Thanks!

Edit: Also, I can't even run memtest fully, it crashes before the test is finished which could be either the memory being faulty or the motherboard is crashing before it can even finish.
a b V Motherboard
August 19, 2011 2:42:40 AM

You could try putting the memory in another board and running memtest there. If it crashes on the other board then you know it is most likely bad RAM.
m
l
August 19, 2011 2:47:23 AM

Only Problem is its ddr3 ram, the only other motherboard I have is ddr2 only :( 
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
August 19, 2011 2:53:45 AM

Hmmm. It would be ideal to be able to run memtest. Do you have a friend with a rig that they wouldn't mind you borrowing for an hour to run memtest (DDR3 compatible of course)?

One other thing: How long does memtest run before your system crashes? Do any errors come up before it crashes?
m
l
August 19, 2011 3:11:27 AM

No errors come up it usually stops after 37 seconds, and doesn't go any farther(crashes i guess). I won't be on again till tomorrow, may check again at noon time. If anyone wants to give me ideas on whats wrong, go ahead and list what you think it is.
m
l
August 19, 2011 10:03:45 PM

Bump, I need to know what part I need to buy, or what may be wrong. Any Help would be great, Thanks!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 19, 2011 10:48:30 PM

So you can get into the OS and start playing videos before it crashes, but if you run memtest you don't make it past around 30 seconds? This sounds like a memory problem.

Is there anyway you can find another system to use and run memtest on your modules from there? I wouldn't buy more RAM just yet, because you would be wasting your money if it turns out your motherboard is to blame.
m
l
August 20, 2011 1:12:07 AM

The only person I could think of that I could test my ram uses a motherboard that only supports ddr2. What I'm thinking I'll do is buy the motherboard, if it doesn't solve anything I can just send it back and get my money back, its only $104. The ram I have my eye on is only $48, so if the motherboard doesn't work out I'll just buy the ram.

When I do get the crash, I will sometimes hear a tearing/buzzing sound from my speakers, that sounds brutal.
m
l
!