Sign in with
Your question

Can't Update/Install Hard Drive Controller (Asus P6X58D-E)

Last response: in Motherboards
August 19, 2011 3:44:06 AM

I'll keep this brief as possible:

In May, I built my second computer, a video editing workstation for my new advertising business. Here's basic config:

Asus P6X58D-E
Intel Core i7-960 3.2Ghz
Corsair Vengeance DDR3/1600 24GB
PNY Quadro 2000
WD Velociraptor 600GB SATA 6GB/s
WD Caviar Blue 1TB SATA 6GB/s

After swapping a bad primary hard drive (Velociraptor), everything seemed to work fine...for two days.

After updating drivers, running Windows Update, etc, I received a BSOD, followed by a failure to start Windows.

The error report pointed to a missing or bad "bootmgr" and Startup Repair couldn't solve the problem. I formatted the primary hard drive, reinstalled Windows, and everything seemed fine...then after installing several Windows Updates I received the BSOD and failure to start again.

This went on for a while: reinstall, update, crash, repeat. On a random chance, during one of these failure to start episodes and subsequent failures running Startup Repair from the OEM disc, I chose to start Windows normally. Lo and behold, it started up and worked...for a day.

My (admittedly amateur) investigations found that the failure to start or restart came after two particular Windows Updates for .NET Framework 4. I don't have the ID of the updates but can get them if necessary.

Perhaps more mysteriously, the system monitor notification in the system tray says that I need to install two drivers: one for USB3, and one for the hard disk controller. Both the USB3 and the Marvell 91xx hard disk controller show in the "Components" menu of "msinfo32" with the problem described as "missing driver."

I have ZERO idea if the Windows Updates and the missing drivers are related. I've attempted to reinstall drivers from the motherboard utilities disc, and I've attempted to update the BIOS using the ASUS Update utility, but I get a BSOD every time, or at least all three times I've tried. I've never received a POST error or anything like that. My computer case has six fans, so I don't think temperature is a problem.

The most confusing part of this to me is that if I go through the hassle of running Startup Repair from the OEM Windows disc, then let it try and eventually fail to repair, I can then start Windows normally and actually work for a day or so.

I am completely lost here, not to mention behind on work. I realize there's probably not enough information above to determine a solution, but even advice on proper procedure to eliminate problems would help. I can provide more and better info if someone can tell me what to look for.

For fiscal reasons, I can't spend any more money on this machine unless I'm 100% certain it will solve my problems, so exhausting all free repair options is a necessity. I'm really, REALLY hoping there is some elusive, simple path to a solution that has thus far escaped my notice.

Any help helps. Thanks in advance.

Jr.
a b V Motherboard
August 19, 2011 6:03:41 AM

filmjr said:
I'll keep this brief as possible:

In May, I built my second computer, a video editing workstation for my new advertising business. Here's basic config:

Asus P6X58D-E
Intel Core i7-960 3.2Ghz
Corsair Vengeance DDR3/1600 24GB
PNY Quadro 2000
WD Velociraptor 600GB SATA 6GB/s
WD Caviar Blue 1TB SATA 6GB/s

After swapping a bad primary hard drive (Velociraptor), everything seemed to work fine...for two days.

After updating drivers, running Windows Update, etc, I received a BSOD, followed by a failure to start Windows.

The error report pointed to a missing or bad "bootmgr" and Startup Repair couldn't solve the problem. I formatted the primary hard drive, reinstalled Windows, and everything seemed fine...then after installing several Windows Updates I received the BSOD and failure to start again.

This went on for a while: reinstall, update, crash, repeat. On a random chance, during one of these failure to start episodes and subsequent failures running Startup Repair from the OEM disc, I chose to start Windows normally. Lo and behold, it started up and worked...for a day.

My (admittedly amateur) investigations found that the failure to start or restart came after two particular Windows Updates for .NET Framework 4. I don't have the ID of the updates but can get them if necessary.

Perhaps more mysteriously, the system monitor notification in the system tray says that I need to install two drivers: one for USB3, and one for the hard disk controller. Both the USB3 and the Marvell 91xx hard disk controller show in the "Components" menu of "msinfo32" with the problem described as "missing driver."

I have ZERO idea if the Windows Updates and the missing drivers are related. I've attempted to reinstall drivers from the motherboard utilities disc, and I've attempted to update the BIOS using the ASUS Update utility, but I get a BSOD every time, or at least all three times I've tried. I've never received a POST error or anything like that. My computer case has six fans, so I don't think temperature is a problem.

The most confusing part of this to me is that if I go through the hassle of running Startup Repair from the OEM Windows disc, then let it try and eventually fail to repair, I can then start Windows normally and actually work for a day or so.

I am completely lost here, not to mention behind on work. I realize there's probably not enough information above to determine a solution, but even advice on proper procedure to eliminate problems would help. I can provide more and better info if someone can tell me what to look for.

For fiscal reasons, I can't spend any more money on this machine unless I'm 100% certain it will solve my problems, so exhausting all free repair options is a necessity. I'm really, REALLY hoping there is some elusive, simple path to a solution that has thus far escaped my notice.

Any help helps. Thanks in advance.

Jr.

1. Exactly what I first thought. Try not installing them. (It is possible to tell Windoze update you don't want to install them.)
2. Probably not.
3. And did the install succeed, or what message did it give you if it didn't.
4. What code?

Is Windows stable when it is running?
m
l
August 26, 2011 2:31:28 AM

Oops, I orphaned this thread...

Here's what's working right now:

I plugged both hard drives into the SATA 3G sockets. All motherboard drivers (from the OEM disc) installed correctly, but one of the .NET 4 Framework updates from Windows Update failed to install, so I ignored it and went about my business.

Computer seems fine now, or at least it has for a week, which is a new record. Though the failed .NET update seems noteworthy, I'm inclined to believe that it is/was a wonky driver with regard to SATA 6G; most of the forum chatter dealing with BSODs on my motherboard point to the hard drive controller.

With everything working now, I'm afraid to switch the hard drives back to the SATA 6G sockets, and I'm not sure the performance gain would be that noticeable after all.

If anything new/interesting/unexpected crops up, I'll update this post.

Oh, with regard to the unanswered of the questions:

3) & 4) -- never received an error message, just blinked BSOD and automatic restart, which failed; unfortunately I don't know how to check error logs from BSODs.
m
l
!