New built PC, slow start up

ChupaChup

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
Hi guys

Over the weekend I had an i7 930, GTX 460, Asus P6X58D-E mobo, 8GB RAM, 1TB HHD WD Caviar Black, 1 x DVD-RW Drive, 530w Be Quiet PSU built, no over clocking, no water cooling. From pressing power on button it takes over a minute to load up onto Windows 7. I timed this with my Quad core 1 year laptop and it was 20 seconds faster.

Is seems the BIOS screen takes ages, it comes on, then black screen, then BIOS screen again then goes onto the Windows logo loading screen. So far I've just installed the mobo, graphics drivers, activated Windows 7 Ulimate, downloaded all the required updates.

Please help, are there some settings to speed up the start up?

JordoR

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Hey ChupaChup.

One thing off the top of my head that I would suggest is updating your bios. Now you can either do this with usb drive if you are familiar, or use ASUS EZFlash program.

If you are unfamiliar with this Asus software, it allows you to look online for the latest bios updates and update it right from windows 7. Ive never had a problem with it.

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Be careful with those Windows based BIOS updates. You're much more likely to brick your board with them than if you use the BIOS based programs.

Other than that, updating BIOS could be a good idea. Have you been into BIOS yet - did you load the optimized defaults in BIOS? Also do you have any other hardware installed? Any peripherals and/or USB devices?