Network Connection Drops, Various Apps Wont Open

AARRGGHHH

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
I've been having a bizarre problem for the last few days and can't seem to figure it out. I'm running XP Pro SP 2. After about an hour, my network connection will stop working.

At the same time, as I try to troubleshoot, applications will "fail to initialize". The applications often include IPCONFIG and Task Manager (which generates error code "0xc0000017"). I have no clue what would cause a network connection to drop AND task manager to fail to initialize.

I've tried:

■ Running my email program in the background to provide a continuity signal (yes I know - an old school fix - and it didn't work)

■ Repairing winsock (netsh winsock reset)

■ Repairing the network connection ("Windows cannot finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: Failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection") Google has not been my friend in figuring that one out...

■ Confirming that various network related services are started (or set to automatic)

■ Turning off my firewall.

■ Flushing the DNS Cache

■ Moving the network card to another PCI slot

■ Using a different network card

■ Running Virus / Trojan scans (although my gut feeling is that this is a network and/or system issue and not malware issue)

■ and probably a few other fixes which have slipped my mind.

This is going to take a reply from someone that really knows his/her stuff when it comes to networking/system issues. I'll look forward to your replies. Come, pull your hair out with me. :fou:

VanillaGorilla

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
Have you looked into the stop error code? From what I just quickly searched, it's related to RAM/Virtual Memory.

Have you also tried booting into safe mode with networking and seeing if the issues arises there?

Good luck with your endeavors.

AARRGGHHH

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

heh - like I said, I knew I'd forget some things.

I tested the memory and found no problems. I can check the CPU temp via the BIOS every time I reboot, I frequently do check it, and haven't found anything unusual.

I can do a warm reboot, where the system has had basically no time to cool down, and get my network and everything else working again, so I don't think this is a heat related issue.

In any case, thank you for the ideas.

AARRGGHHH

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

I will try safe mode with networking on my next reboot.

What did you search for when you found the RAM / Virtual Memory info? What did you find out? I'm a little overtired at this point, I easily could have missed something.

Thanks