Thomas

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2003

Symptom:
Can't open Outlook personal folders
Attempted solution
I have tried to run SCANPST to fix but it tells me to run CHKSK
PROBLEM
CHKDSK gets stuck at the start of 'stage 2 of 3'. The machine runs XP home,
80 Gb hard drive, , about 46 Gb frre space, around 180,000 files. I was
warned it could take a long time but it didn't progress beyond 0% complete
even after about six hours.

Apart from the OUTLOOK problem the machine is running OK.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
--
Not quite an amateur

After backup you might try running;
chkdsk /r
from the recovery console command line. (/r implies /f and /p)

To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows XP
CD-Rom. At the "Welcome to Setup" screen. Press F10 or R to repair a Windows
XP installation, and then press C to use the Recovery Console. The Recovery
Console then prompts you for the administrator password. If you do not have
the correct password, Recovery Console does not allow access to the
computer. If an incorrect password is entered three times, the Recovery
Console quits and restarts the computer. Note If the registry is corrupted
or missing or no valid installations are found, the Recovery Console starts
in the root of the startup volume without requiring a password. You cannot
access any folders, but you can carry out commands such as chkdsk, fixboot,
and fixmbr for limited disk repairs. Once the password has been validated,
you have full access to the Recovery Console, but limited access to the hard
disk. You can only access the following folders on your computer: drive
root, %systemroot% or %windir%

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Thomas" wrote:
| Symptom:
| Can't open Outlook personal folders
| Attempted solution
| I have tried to run SCANPST to fix but it tells me to run CHKSK
| PROBLEM
| CHKDSK gets stuck at the start of 'stage 2 of 3'. The machine runs XP
home,
| 80 Gb hard drive, , about 46 Gb frre space, around 180,000 files. I was
| warned it could take a long time but it didn't progress beyond 0% complete
| even after about six hours.
|
| Apart from the OUTLOOK problem the machine is running OK.
|
| Can anyone help?
|
| Thanks
| --
| Not quite an amateur

Thomas

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2003

Thanks - but what if I don't have an XP CD?
--
Not quite an amateur

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> After backup you might try running;
> chkdsk /r
> from the recovery console command line. (/r implies /f and /p)
>
> To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows XP
> CD-Rom. At the "Welcome to Setup" screen. Press F10 or R to repair a Windows
> XP installation, and then press C to use the Recovery Console. The Recovery
> Console then prompts you for the administrator password. If you do not have
> the correct password, Recovery Console does not allow access to the
> computer. If an incorrect password is entered three times, the Recovery
> Console quits and restarts the computer. Note If the registry is corrupted
> or missing or no valid installations are found, the Recovery Console starts
> in the root of the startup volume without requiring a password. You cannot
> access any folders, but you can carry out commands such as chkdsk, fixboot,
> and fixmbr for limited disk repairs. Once the password has been validated,
> you have full access to the Recovery Console, but limited access to the hard
> disk. You can only access the following folders on your computer: drive
> root, %systemroot% or %windir%
>

> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Thomas" wrote:
> | Symptom:
> | Can't open Outlook personal folders
> | Attempted solution
> | I have tried to run SCANPST to fix but it tells me to run CHKSK
> | PROBLEM
> | CHKDSK gets stuck at the start of 'stage 2 of 3'. The machine runs XP
> home,
> | 80 Gb hard drive, , about 46 Gb frre space, around 180,000 files. I was
> | warned it could take a long time but it didn't progress beyond 0% complete
> | even after about six hours.
> |
> | Apart from the OUTLOOK problem the machine is running OK.
> |
> | Can anyone help?
> |
> | Thanks
> | --
> | Not quite an amateur

Borrow one.

--

"Thomas" wrote:
| Thanks - but what if I don't have an XP CD?
| --
| Not quite an amateur

Thomas

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2003

You are a total hero! Thanks very much. You have no idea how grateful I am
to find my live contact folders in particular! I clearly need to get my
OUTLOOK backup system working better in case a disaster like this happens
again.
--
Not quite an amateur