Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

No POST constant Reboot

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Constant Reboot
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Share
September 27, 2010 1:05:06 PM

here's the scenario:

I have a PC with the following equipment:

Athlon Phenom 4 cores
4GB DDR 3 RAM
Nvidia 7600 GS vid card
Sound Blaster HD card
2 SATA hard drives
2 optical drives
couple of attached USB devices


The PC is normally left on all the time (it's my media pc). I came down this morning and switched my TV input to it. All I had was a gray screen and a blinkking cursor in the upper left hand of the screen. Did a hard reboot, and all the PC will do now is reboot over an over. It does not give me any POST beeps, it will spin up the optical drives and it appears to recognize the vid card, as that is the only thing that will display before it reboots again. I don't get the normal motherboard POST screen.

My plan of attack is to strip it down to base components and try to reboot again later tonight. Any thoughts as to what this might be?
Thanks.

More about : post constant reboot

a b B Homebuilt system
September 27, 2010 2:55:19 PM

Start with the GPU. Yank the 7600 and swap with another GPU, or use the integrated video controller if you have one, to check whether the system will boot or not. Also, pop the cover and make sure you are infested with dust bunnies and hairballs and that all of your fans are working properly.
September 28, 2010 12:30:04 AM

OK, so when I popped out the vid card, I have POST beeps! Unfortunately, I have no way of knowing what they mean as I can't find the beep code list online. my Mobo is an MSI 770-c45.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
September 28, 2010 12:38:07 AM

Could be normal boot beeps (usually one) or no GPU (several). What is it doing?
a b B Homebuilt system
September 28, 2010 12:38:57 AM

Also, do you have another video card (aka GPU) you could pop in it?
September 28, 2010 12:49:52 AM

COLGeek said:
Could be normal boot beeps (usually one) or no GPU (several). What is it doing?


Tons of beeps. It's likely telling me that there's no vid card. I tried hooking up an old PCI vid card to test it, got no image on my monitor. It recognizes the signal, but it won't give me an image. I thank you for your help so far!
September 28, 2010 1:04:45 AM

update, on initial boot if gives me 4 beeps. Then one. Then one. Then two series of blisteringly fast 8 beeps.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 28, 2010 1:38:14 AM

Never mind on the integrated video as I see you have none. Sorry.

With the PCI video card, are you able to access the BIOS?
September 28, 2010 1:39:15 AM

COLGeek said:
Found this link about MSI beep codes:
http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?topic=86906.0

And, this:
http://us.msi.com/support/sup_tshoot.asp

Does your mobo have integrated video? If so, connect to it and see what happens (remove all other video adapters first).


Nope, no onboard video. I'm going to need to get another card to test. I'll try and rustle one up tomorrow if possible. Thanks for your help, I'll get back when I have an update
a b B Homebuilt system
September 28, 2010 1:40:23 AM

Also, I want you to try resetting the BIOS (either with the jumper or pulling the battery). Be sure to disconnect all power sources, then press the power button to discharge any residual power left in the system, then ground yourself, then move the jumpers or pull the battery for 10-15 secs (preferred).
September 28, 2010 1:41:50 AM

COLGeek said:
Also, I want you to try resetting the BIOS (either with the jumper or pulling the battery). Be sure to disconnect all power sources, then press the power button to discharge any residual power left in the system, then ground yourself, then move the jumpers or pull the battery for 10-15 secs (preferred).


:o  That's a scary prospect. What are the potential issues with resetting it?
a b B Homebuilt system
September 28, 2010 1:44:16 AM

There really aren't any. Pretty simple and resets the BIOS back to its default settings.
September 28, 2010 1:46:44 AM

COLGeek said:
There really aren't any. Pretty simple and resets the BIOS back to its default settings.


Reason I asked is because I once tried to flash my BIOS and turned my system into a paperweight. OK. Well, I'm not going to try it tonight, but I will try it. Thanks again.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 28, 2010 2:48:15 AM

You aren't flashing the BIOS, only manually resetting back to its default configuration. Two different things.
September 28, 2010 3:00:39 AM

After trying the BIOS reset, I personally would disconnect the HDD's, optical drives, audio card, and any other unnecessary devices that you have plugged in to the motherboard. Try moving your RAM to another bank. Also, try using just one DIMM, power up, and then try the other separately, in case you have a bad stick.

Not to say this is necessarily the issue, but my workplace has a large number of Gateway systems, and MANY of them have been in a perpetual state of reboot, with less of a display than what you described. After replacing all components, we chalked it up to the mobo themselves. Are any of your components under warranty?
September 28, 2010 12:43:01 PM

brandoncatz said:
After trying the BIOS reset, I personally would disconnect the HDD's, optical drives, audio card, and any other unnecessary devices that you have plugged in to the motherboard. Try moving your RAM to another bank. Also, try using just one DIMM, power up, and then try the other separately, in case you have a bad stick.

Not to say this is necessarily the issue, but my workplace has a large number of Gateway systems, and MANY of them have been in a perpetual state of reboot, with less of a display than what you described. After replacing all components, we chalked it up to the mobo themselves. Are any of your components under warranty?



Nope, I've had them all for more than a year.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 29, 2010 12:55:04 PM

Did you reset the BIOS yet?
September 29, 2010 1:33:14 PM

yes I did, same thing. It is still just rebooting when I have the vid card in there, and when I take it out, it will POST but alerts the card isn't in there. I ahve a new card on order with newegg, expecting it in tonight or tomorrow.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 29, 2010 1:34:44 PM

Christmas is September! Always cool when the Newegg box arrives!
September 29, 2010 1:39:32 PM

COLGeek said:
Christmas is September! Always cool when the Newegg box arrives!


:lol:  yes, indeed! I got special budgetary clearance fromt he wife on it. All it's cost me is a month's worth of laundry duty haha
October 1, 2010 12:30:24 AM

OK, so I'm back. Swapped in the new vid card, and system will boot into windows. With one caveat: it reboots randomly after about two-three minutes uptime in windows.

Oh boy. What now?
a b B Homebuilt system
October 1, 2010 12:33:49 AM

Are you able to determine the CPU temp in that short period of time? Also, can you look at Device Manager to see if any hardware is acting up?
October 1, 2010 12:45:14 AM

COLGeek said:
Are you able to determine the CPU temp in that short period of time? Also, can you look at Device Manager to see if any hardware is acting up?


Any idea how to accomplish that task?
October 2, 2010 9:13:09 PM

COLGeek said:
Install hwmonitor and see what it says. Get the free version:
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html


Just wanted to update you on the status of this issue. After a swap of the GPU and removal of the dimms from slot 3 and 4, my system is up and stable for 36+ hours. But, I think a mobo replacement is not too far off.
a b B Homebuilt system
October 4, 2010 1:12:33 AM

Understood. Have you run memtest to verify whether your RAM is bad or not?
!