PC won't POST/beep, but things still are spinning...

First, my PC:
i7-920 LGA1366
Asus P6T (non-deluxe)
3x2gb Kingston DDR3 1333 kit
GTX260 (Gigabyte brand, I think)
Corsair HX620 power supply
Windows 7 64-bit

My problem:
My computer has run in its current config for approx. 1.5 years.
My computer was on overnight last night, and this morning I told it to 'sleep' (as I have done in the past with no issues), but when I got to it this afternoon, it would not wake up (The fans sounded like they were on, but nothign on the screen).
So I held the power button in until the PC turned off, and then tried a reboot...

Since then, I have tried:
1. Remove everything from my case except the Mobo/PSU/CPU+hsf, then rebuilding. Still no go.
2. Tried a different video card
3. Tried different configurations of RAM (including with NO ram, to see if I'd get any POST)
4. Found a PC speaker and plugged it in to my mother board, and tried most of the above ^ but got no beeps at any point
5. I have tried: CPU/RAM/VGA, CPU/VGA, CPU/RAM (no beeps!). And I tried all of these with the hard drives/optical drives plugged in and out, to see if that made a difference.

When the PC powers on, one of the lights on the case flickers a couple of times, and the case fans and CPU fan turn on, and I can hear the hard drives spinning.
At no stage was I able to get any output at all on the screen (from either video card attempt), and nor was I able to get any beep.

Since it does not work with either video card I tried, I am guessing that the problem lies in the CPU or the motherboard (and yes, I have plugged the other power cord onto the motherboard, which was one of the main problems I have read on the net while researching this).

I have tried googling/etc to find a solution to this, but the problems that had solutions that worked were never QUITE the same as my problem. About the only thing I havent tried is clearing the CMOS with the jumper, but I have misplaced my motherboard book it seems...

So I turn to you guys for any help/advice you might offer! What should I be doing now?
5 answers Last reply
More about post beep things spinning
  1. Do you have access to another PSU that you could swap to make sure the PSU is okay? If swapping a known, good PSU doesn't do the trick, you likely have a defective motherboard.

Even though things are "spinning", it doesn't necessarily mean the system is getting sufficient power to operate. Good luck!
  2. I think I have access to a 430W Thermaltake CPU from an old case. It might not be super-dooper, but it certainly makes that PC work (as recently as yesterday).
    I also got no better result with all fans (bar the CPU fan), and all hard/optical drives powered OFF.

I will try this next probably.
    Is there any way to isolate if it's the CPU or the motherboard? If I take the CPU out, and just have VGA/RAM/PSU, it should give me POST if the motherboard isn't broken?
  3. If you have no CPU, RAM, or video installed your mobo should beep like crazy (assuming you have a speaker attached or on your mobo). If you get zero sound, you likely have a dead mobo.

Be sure to check the PSU. CPUs don't often fail.
  4. After I test the speaker to make sure THAT is working, I will take even more out.
    Then try the spare PSU.
    It's annoying when something dies after 18 months, and warranties are only 12...

Cheers for the advice.
  5. Good luck!
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems