Metal747

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
ok well i have a MCP61PM-AM motherboard by ELITEGROUP
i used SIW and it shows me that the Memory's maximum capacity and memory module size is blank and it has an X on it as in invalid ..i notcied my pc get very slow after i fresh installed windows xp and when i run some programs or games it says that i ran out of memory .so i dont know what i can do to fix this problem.plz i need help bad ! :bounce:

SIW - http://www.gtopala.com/

XP 32-bit works best with at least 2GB of RAM. Since you have an OEM MOBO then getting RAM anything greater than the MINIMUM supported speed is always going to get the 'Warning values...' reason 9.9/10 you cannot increase the DRAM/Memory Frequency nor the CAS timings. The BIOS says X Frequency and pulls the CAS 'SPD' timings from the RAM if encoded OR uses safe CAS timings for the X Frequency.

Therefore '200 MHz' is as fast as she's going unless the BIOS allows 'DDR2 667' ie 333 MHz setting.

The specs I found in a simple Google search:
MEMORY:
4 x 240-pin DDR2 DIMM
Dual-channel DDR2 memory architecture
Support DDR2 800/667/533/400 DDR2 SDRAM

GW Specs -> http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/1015001R/1015001Rsp2.shtml
1GB/DIMM max with 4x1GB max capacity.
"nstalled: 3072 MB DDR2, 667 MHz, (PC2-5300) dual channel memory (two 1024 MB and two 512 MB modules)"

IF you have a sudden slowdown chances are some or 1 of your DIMM slots or RAM is dead.
1. Take the RAM in 'Slot 1' 512MB stick, remove the others, test boot the 'good' stick in ALL 4 DIMM slots. IF it boots then the DIMM slots are good. Next, use Isopropyl alcohol - clean the contacts on the RAM, dampen the contact and inset in ALL DIMM slots with ALL sticks, repeat twice per DIMM/RAM, remove and wipe-off, allow to dry 5 minutes, reinsert RAM and try booting. Some folks use a pencil eraser {BE CAREFUL} to remove oxidation.

2. Create a bootable CD/DVD of Memtest, use the ISO/zip file and burn the disk -> http://www.memtest.org/

Failures/Replacement RAM -> http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=GT5654&Cat=RAM ; don't bother getting NEW RAM is the DIMM slots are bad as above.

--

Yes, I saw the following image. Not knowing the App it seems 3/4 of your DIMM slots are 'dead' or malfunctioning. The only cases for 3/4 suddenly not working: 1. PSU failure and ruined MOBO, 2. New short affecting DIMM pathways, 3. CPU failure, 4. 2 of the other sticks died before and suddenly a third (1GB) died and you're just noticing.

2jujd.jpg

You haven't given us enough info to figure anything out. You have not even told us what memory you have.

It looks like your motherboard only supports 1gb per slot and your trying to use a 4gb stick?

Also looks like you have 333mhz memory and for some reason your running it at 400mhz (200mhz x 2 (ddr)=400). That's a problem.

Metal747

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011

sry about that ,well i have 2 512's and 2 1 gigs and the thing is i have been using this pc for like 4 years and the ram was never a problem so thats what has me puzzled .what happend was i did a fresh install and once i booted up is when this happend i did not mess with the ram in anyway the whole time.
Another thing is i have 3 gigs total,so i right click on My Computer and click properties and windows says i have 3 gigs installed so if the ram did not work i doubt it would say that i have that much.

Metal747

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011

Yeah i did as u said and i still got the same problem ;[ ..and yeah u got it right lol 2X1GB + 2X512MB ..i really dont know what else to do maybe a new motherboard would be better...i recently installed bios again from gateway support but did not work aswell :/

What happened from Step #1 above? Did it boot successfully each time?
IF YES then purchase NEW RAM.
IF NO & ALL other DIMM Slots Failed then NEW MOBO or NEW PC.

1. Take the RAM in 'Slot 1' 512MB stick, remove the others, test boot the 'good' stick in ALL 4 DIMM slots.

Metal747

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011

yeah they all worked and it booted up but i was still getting the error ..i even tried all slots with the 1 gigs one by one and still booted but like always i got the error messages

The 'Out of Memory' is a different error than from some BSOD related error.

Next, try 2X1GB using the same colored DIMM slots; your MOBO is Dual Channel.

Try:
CPU: | 1GB | 1GB | - | - | ; purple
CPU: | - | - | 1GB | 1GB | ; orange
"-" = blank/no RAM

TMtu_-DsvsMnrcpoczJ2kPbIVfXhm389UXqAuqsw_ir6fBrjfIse7-PT_h1CqLWsoUVUhKjlg6OiIZGMhdRb3l75cm51f_rEDvDNqdmtDihfpZWg0Qk3Fr4OBxDvjxncYisE-KDlrDuAXLmoH0TxNptPiaoKZNTFqhQ

I'm certain the OP does know "yeah u got it right lol 2X1GB + 2X512MB". It also appears the DIMM slots are okay, but one or more RAM sticks are bad. Often the 'older' Dual Channel MOBO's require Equal Channel sizes so (1) bad stick can cause a cascade of turning-off 1-3 'good' sticks. Examples: Ch0_1 = Ch1_2, Ch0_1+Ch0_3 = Ch1_2+Ch1_4; so if Ch1_2 (bad) then the remainder is turned-off by the BIOS.

Next Try:
CPU: | 512MB | 512MB | - | - | ; purple
CPU: | - | - | 512MB | 512MB | ; orange
"-" = blank/no RAM

Simply, too the OP can replace the RAM since it seems all the DIMM Slots function.