Sign in with
Your question

Is this a good choice?

Last response: in Systems
September 27, 2010 3:04:58 PM

I;m trying to make my own config so here is my choice(i'm no expert, that's why i need some opinions):

AMD Phenom II X4 955

ASUS M4A785D-M-PRO, Chipset AMD 785G with AMD Radeon HD 4200 onboard

nVidia GeForce G210 or 9500GT(the same in my opinion)

2-3 GB RAM DDR2

:??: 
Some suggestions please!

The motherboard has HybridCrossfire, if i buy a Radeon card would i be able to link the cards?

More about : good choice

September 27, 2010 3:27:56 PM

It depends on the card you buy. Hybrid Crossfire basically just makes two slow cards into one faster card. It won't do much if you throw a high end card in the build.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/245454-33-crossfire-f...

Also keep in mind you can't hybrid crossfire a nvidia card with the radeon IGP.

I would suggest you go for a straight AM3 board and DDR3 ram. This board is only $15 more with rebate and will give you some future proofing by having usb3.0:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Any 4gb (2x2gb) DDR3 ram will do. DDR31600 if you plan to overclock or DDR31333 if you don't. G.Skill, Corsair, OCZ, A-Data, Crucial, Kingston and Mushkin are all good brands.

Do you have a case already or need one? PSU? Hard drive and disc drives?
Related resources
September 27, 2010 6:29:58 PM

DDR3 is the way to go...what kind of games do you play?
September 27, 2010 6:40:38 PM

If you want a good gaming machine you should spend alot less on the CPU (like get an Athlon II x3) and spend the extra money getting a good graphics card (like a 450, 5770 or 460).

Niether of the graphics cards you listed is a gaming card.
September 27, 2010 6:59:13 PM

@kureme i know that 2 different graphics cards won't work in SLI/CrossFire and i was thinking on going for DDR3 but i'll see if i can enlarge my budget :kaola: 

i didnt post the rest of the component because i dont think they are so important!

@dndhatcher the budget i have right now is to buy what i listed or equivalents in performance and/or price and I did this config from the list of component of a single pc shop here in Roumania! i will go to other shops and see what i can get

is the Athlon II x3 better than Phenom II x4 ?! 'cause of what i've read/heard 'till now Phenom II x4 ALMOST catches up with the Intel i5

sorry if my english is not that understandable

September 27, 2010 7:10:30 PM

sorry about the stupid question abou Athlon and Phenom!i didnt understood the first time what u meant cu say...

give me a tip about a cheaper CPU and a good graphics card
September 28, 2010 11:07:57 PM

thank you very much!

i'll follow every link u have given to me :) 
!