Sign in with
Your question

Too weak PSU?

Last response: in Systems
September 27, 2010 4:21:39 PM

Hello,

After putting all together the computer just shuts off after few seconds of booting. It won't start again if PWR ON button is pressed, only if cable out of the socket and in again. I had mobo checked - worked fine, checked the PSU by bridging - worked.
So my only conclusion would be that it doesn't have enough power.
Could anyone suggest how big PSU I should buy. Or if anybody has other explanations to this problem I'd really appreciate it.
My current setup:
PSU: Xilence 550W ATX2.2
Mobo: Asus M4A87TD EVO
CPU: x6 1055T
GPU: GeForce GTX 460 1gb
HDD: Samsung F3 1TB 7.2kRPM
SSD: Kingston 64GB
Memory: Apacer 2gb ddr3 x4
ODD: LG DVD-/+RW 22x

All the wires from PSU are used.

More about : weak psu

September 27, 2010 4:27:11 PM

550 should be enough but the xilence is a questionable quality psu
September 27, 2010 4:29:11 PM

The total W is fine. That is, 550W is fine. But if it's a piece of junk PSU that would be another issue.
Related resources
September 27, 2010 5:04:53 PM

More details on the problem: On 1st power up I managed to install w7 and started installing drivers which needed restart which turned to a shut down and would start again. Pulling the cable was the only successful thing to get it up nd running, reinstalled the w7 thinking it was the drivers, random shut down again. After each try the length of running shrunk to only 1/2 CPU spin.

Could there be another explanation to this problem or is it most likely the PSU?
September 27, 2010 5:12:11 PM

get something like
xfx
corsair
antec
enermax
seasonic
toughpower

for a power supply
September 27, 2010 5:47:41 PM

^That's Thermaltake Toughpower. OCZ would also be better than Xilence.

The Silverpower Blue Lightning has very short CPU and mobo connectors, so it would only be suitable in a case that mounts the PSU at the top. Apart from that it's not too bad.

I have not heard of Apacer as a RAM brand before, don't know what kind of quality they bring to the table?

If I knew where you bought from and a budget I could find you a very nice power supply.
September 27, 2010 6:01:40 PM

Corsair 650TX - $60

Not modular, but probably the best in terms of quality. I would say a good 4 tiers above your current one. The other makers listed by Obsidian are good too, but $60 is an unbelievable steal for this psu. I would jump on it right now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
September 27, 2010 6:05:37 PM

I was just clarifying for the OP.

He's not in the US, so can't use newegg.
September 27, 2010 6:07:21 PM

Get the Silverstone ST-50F...cheap & reliable...
!