Random Freezes

darkshadow0202

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
My laptop had a graphic issue before, but gotten fixed (2 times). The first time this vertical colory lines (lines all over the screen) happened (After 1 year), the Sony IT guy fixed this problem by changing the mother board and cleaned the fan. After 2 mouths the problem came back, but this time it was just a single vertical line. The Sony IT came back again, change the mother board and cleaned the fan but it didn't work so this time it must be the graphic card. I sent the laptop to the Sony company and got it fixed. Soon after (maybe 2 mouths) while randomly playing a game ( A game that always worked perfectly and meets the requirement) I began to see vertical lines again, the computer froze so I had to press the shutdown button. When rebooted and fully loaded they were no vertical lines. The vertical line also happened when watching a youtube video (after 20 min from the start-up) and happened when playing music using Real player (after 3 min from the start-up)

Current: The laptop shows those vertical lines on the BIOS screen or the part where it shows the safe mode option.

Laptop specs - http://www.retrevo.com/search?q=Sony+VGN-FZ340N&rt=sp&modelid=23204604
Windows 7 Ultimate, drivers are up to date

Is this an overheating issue or an graphic card problem? and why am I getting this vertical lines to often?

Sorry to tell you that your laptop is a real lemon. (The vertical lines appears because the GPU or motherboard is failing)

Most laptops from Dell, Gateway, Sony, Toshiba, Hp, Acer all have a thing in common: They overheat.

Most laptop i repair have dead motherboard because on board gpu or motherboard itself has been damaged by heat. This happens a few month after warranty expires..

Since your laptop has been fix twice now for overheating issues, you could buy a cooling unit for it but will just make the laptop last for a few more months...

I would return it telling them there's a hidden vice and that this is no tolerable. Whether they change it to a laptop that doesn't overheat or get a refund: You need a laptop that works.

Next time you get a laptop get a Asus or MSi they are well build.

Also don't use your laptop where you block fans from doing their cooling jobs (how many kids breaks their laptop because they use it on their bed)

Sorry to be a bad news barer

darkshadow0202

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
@ Maziar - HD0 - 26C
Temp1 - 40C
Temp2 - 40C
Core0 - 40C but jumps to 48 then goes back, then it goes back up.
Core1 - 40C but jump to 49 then goes back down then up

I restarted the computer and the temperature gotten higher.
HD0 - 31C
Temp1 - 52
Temp2 - 52
Core0 - 51
Core1 - 54

I couldn't play the game maybe because the resolution is set to 640X480(there is no option to choose from) and using default Monitor On.
I tried to install the drivers for the resolution, but it didn't work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

@dextermat: My laptop doesn't have warranty, and I asked my dad to not smoke near the laptop, and I told everyone in the house hold when using the laptop don't put anything in front of the fan. But my sisters takes the laptop over night and am sure there using it on the bed.....EWW

And are you sure that the ASUS and MSi laptop would be more happiness to me instead of this Sony?

-------------------Thank you both--------------------

darkshadow0202

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010

Ya latest version. 4.4.

After the vertical lines and random freezes, the monitor resolution went down to 640. There isn't even an option to put it back to 1280X800, which means I don't have an driver for my graphic card, but I didn't uninstall anything. If I wanted to install the driver the computer wont accept it.