Is this CPU a Bottleneck for my OC'd HD 5770?

megahmad

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
I have a HD 5770, and my PC performance is exceptional for most games at ultra settings, the only game that didn't run at ultra settings is GTA IV, would a Q9650 @ 3.5GHz be a bottleneck for future games? or should I stick to it for the next 2 years?
I know if I want to upgrade I have to go for the i7 but I hate to change my mobo :eek:

Thanks.

Definitely not - games over a spread aren't even X4 optimized as yet
The Game Rundown: Finding CPU/GPU Bottlenecks, Part 2
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/game-performance-bottleneck,2738-16.html
Conclusion: A Trend Toward 3+ Cores

The average optimal number of CPU cores suggested by the test results is 2.75, showing a clear trend towards at least three CPU cores.The question of whether the CPU or GPU is most important is easily answered. If you don't have a multi-core CPU, then upgrade it. If you have a dual-core CPU at around 3 GHz, then invest your money into a graphics card, as most games are GPU-limited. This is not something that will change with new DirectX 11 games.

alhanelem

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
dont worry about GTA4, that game is soooooooooo poorly optimized its become a resource blackhole. anyway if you want better performance on gta 4 get a better graphics card.
also i doubt the Q9650 will last for another two years BUT its such a good cpu and should at least last you till the end of 2011

alhanelem

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
lolz. the q9650 is a blisteringly good cpu. and has at least 3 years left in it... why? multi platform games!. the consoles have at least another 3 years in them so theres no reason that high end core 2 quads shouldn't have at least the same life span.

hmmm... i doubt it, all because the consoles will last doesnt mean his cpu will. however if he doesnt mind the slowly but surely performance decrease overtime he could have it last for 2-3 years.

acer0169

Distinguished
You're not bottlenecked, and wont be for some time. If you were to get a second GPU you might want to look at a CPU upgrade also, but at the moment you're running fine.

Make sure you've got GTA4 patched up to at least v1.3, they made huge changes and it runs a great deal smoother after patching.

beltzy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
That CPU is not going to bottleneck you, especially without a higher end graphics card.

This article is perfect for showing the performance limits of CPU/GPU. Check out the benchmarks and you'll see that a Q9550 at 3.7GHz is actually getting a few FPS higher average than an i7-920 at 4.0 GHz (go figure).