Sign in with
Your question

Triple channel to dual channel?

Last response: in Motherboards
August 19, 2011 12:04:29 PM

Can I take a Triple Channel 12GB kit (6x2GB) and take four of those sticks and put them in a Dual Channel motherboard?
a b V Motherboard
August 19, 2011 6:39:38 PM

Yes you can. There is no such thing as "dual channel" or "triple channel" memory, only dual or triple channel architecture. Whether or not your system will run in dual or triple channel is up to the motherboard and CPU, not the RAM.

For example, all DDR3 memory modules are capable of running in single, dual, or triple channel. It just depends what situation you put them in.

So in your case, if you put 4 modules (3 from the 12GB kit and 1 from another) on a motherboard with dual channel architecture then it will run in dual channel.

Or you could take the same 12 GB kit and put the 3 modules in a motherboard with triple channel architecture, with a core i7 triple channel cpu, and your system will run in triple channel.
m
l
August 20, 2011 1:08:28 PM

So I have six sticks total, can I take four of them and put them in a AMD Dual Channel mobo?
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
August 20, 2011 4:09:21 PM

Yes you can, and it will run in dual channel mode.

If possible it is best to use a single kit (one 4 module kit as opposed to two 2 module kits), but it doesn't mean you have to do this. They sell RAM in kits for a reason, but mixing kits is fine as long as the speeds, latency, and timing match. Nothing is 100% when it comes to memory, but if you have 2 identical kits of 3 modules, using 4 should be perfectly fine.
m
l
August 20, 2011 6:39:09 PM

Sweet thanks! I'm just switching from a i7 950 to the new bulldozer and just wanted to know that so I don't have to buy new ram.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 20, 2011 6:53:54 PM

No problem. Good luck with the new build!
m
l
August 21, 2011 1:25:46 AM

Going with a AMD FX-8170, 8GB Ram, CrossfireX 6950's, ASUS Crosshair V Formula Mobo
m
l
!