Sign in with
Your question

Erratic cpu fan readings

Last response: in Components
December 23, 2010 1:59:51 PM

Hello everyone I appoligize if this is the wrong place to post this but i could use some help, recently i upgraded from my stock hpe 110f to an haf 922, asus M4A88T-v evo and an Ultra 750 watt psu, so i am still using stock cpu(AMD 925) and memory, but when i booted her up the cpu fan(stock 3 pin plugged into 4 pin mobo) was screaming so i replaced it with a Arctic 7 freezer, booted it up and was getting a cpu fan warning, but the fan seems to be working fine so disabled the warning in the bios, but noticed the rpm reading are all over from 0-29000 back to 600 and so on also i noticed with Everest the same thing with erratic fan readings what could cause this?
a b à CPUs
December 23, 2010 2:44:27 PM

If you have cool n quiet enabled in the bios the fan speeds will go up and down with the cpu heat.

If you plug a 3 pin fan into a 4 pin pwm socket the fan controll won't work, it has to be a 4 pin pwm fan otherwise the fan will just spin at full speed constantly.

The fan could also be spinning unnecessarily if the heatsink and thermal paste isn't applied properly.
http://www.arcticsilver.com/amd_application_method.html...
m
l
December 23, 2010 3:52:00 PM

my temps are all good low 30s the fan speed in bios goes from N/A to 700rpm then shoots up to 19640 rpm then back down to the 7-800 range could it be a bad fan?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 23, 2010 5:40:28 PM

When it shoots up does the fan actually start spinning faster?

Have you tried the same fan on a different slot and a different fan on that slot.

Sounds like a faulty board sensor??
m
l
December 23, 2010 5:45:50 PM

i just returned the heat sink and cooler for the exact same one and it does the same thing should i try a bios update, this is the first build i have ever done so bare with me.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 23, 2010 5:52:38 PM

Have you tried what I suggested about trying the cooler and fans in different slots.

If it has the same problem on one fan slot you know that is your problem and you need to use a different one.

I am trying to work out what it could be but if you don't respond to my questions its difficult for me to move on to the next possible solution.

Your cpu is supported from the 1st bios release 0304 so should be ok but I'd get the latest anyway.
m
l
December 23, 2010 5:56:44 PM

beanoslim said:
Have you tried what I suggested about trying the cooler and fans in different slots.

If it has the same problem on one fan slot you know that is your problem and you need to use a different one.

I am trying to work out what it could be but if you don't respond to my questions its difficult for me to move on to the next possible solution.

By slots do you mean other four pin fan plugs and if so is there more then one?
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 23, 2010 6:03:35 PM

What I'm suggesting is plugging your cooler into any of the other available fan slots on your mobo.

If it runs fine i.e. doesn't jump all over the place you know its not a fan problem.

Then plug a different fan into the original fan slot and if it jumps all over the place you know its the slot.

If your cooler is a 4 pin pwm fan it will still run off a 3 pin fan slot just without pwm control.

Hope this helps.
m
l
December 23, 2010 6:11:11 PM

beanoslim said:
What I'm suggesting is plugging your cooler into any of the other available fan slots on your mobo.

If it runs fine i.e. doesn't jump all over the place you know its not a fan problem.

Then plug a different fan into the original fan slot and if it jumps all over the place you know its the slot.

If your cooler is a 4 pin pwm fan it will still run off a 3 pin fan slot just without pwm control.

Hope this helps.

ok did as you suggested and pluged it into the case fan plug and it all the reading are fine, and this was the second fan I,ve had on the cpu and both did the same thing so it must be a faulty mobo?
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 23, 2010 6:22:39 PM

Seems like a faulty fan socket but back to another question.

When the speed of the fan jumps up does the fan actually start to spin faster??

If it doesn't then it seems that you just have a sensor problem therefore you can still use the fan slot.

If it does make the fan spin erratically I wouldn't use it.

If your mobo is still under warranty it may be worth an RMA, otherwise I'm sure the mobo is still fine to use.

BTW what bios are you using?

If you download the manual and look at page 20 no:1 shows you the 2x4 pin fan headers.
http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguag...
m
l
December 23, 2010 7:34:59 PM

beanoslim said:
Seems like a faulty fan socket but back to another question.

When the speed of the fan jumps up does the fan actually start to spin faster??

If it doesn't then it seems that you just have a sensor problem therefore you can still use the fan slot.

If it does make the fan spin erratically I wouldn't use it.

If your mobo is still under warranty it may be worth an RMA, otherwise I'm sure the mobo is still fine to use.

BTW what bios are you using?

If you download the manual and look at page 20 no:1 shows you the 2x4 pin fan headers.
http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguag...

nope the fan stays the same speed and as far as bios is concerned it is version 0302
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 23, 2010 9:38:31 PM

uncleglenny said:
nope the fan stays the same speed and as far as bios is concerned it is version 0302

Start by updating your bios to latest version.

Download OCCT and install.

Turn cool n quiet on in your bios.

Plug your cpu fan into the 4 pin cpu fan socket and run occt.

Check that as the test starts after 1 min the fan speeds up to control the heat, if it does then everything is working fine.

If it doesn't try it in the other 4 pin socket and do the same test.

You may find the bios update helps and this is assuming that the AF7 has a 4 pin pwm fan.
m
l
December 23, 2010 9:40:07 PM

Quote:
if your readings are irratic but not actualy having an effect on the fanspeed . you need to swap the fan mode from or to rpm or pwm.
gpu-z reads my pwm fans on my arctic cool xtreme wrong. variaing from 400 to 16000 (the fan is 900-1500rpm) but speed fan reads i correctly. so it may just be a software/ sensor conflict.

I dont think that is the issue as the fan reads fine on the case fan header, and i am reading it right from the Bios, I just did an RMA for it so I'm gonna send it back.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 23, 2010 9:42:41 PM

I would suggest a bios update before that just to be sure.
m
l
December 23, 2010 11:22:46 PM

I used the asus software to check for a bios update but it says no compatible matches found, but on their website it says they have version 0304 so should I use that?
m
l
December 23, 2010 11:59:35 PM

ok just an update I downloaded Bios version 0306 flashed it and theres no difference, so looks like a tear down, what a pita !
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 24, 2010 8:22:18 AM

Sounds like a faulty sensor on that fan slot, you could also try speedfan and HWmonitor to see what they say.

m
l
December 24, 2010 3:34:13 PM

Ya did the bios update and no difference, anyway did an rma and sent it back this morning.
m
l
December 27, 2010 5:20:20 PM

Has it been solved? I'm having the exact same problem described here, random 19640rpm readings from the CPU fan. I'm using the arctic cooling freezer rev.2, and the M4A87TD/USB3 asus motherboard.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 27, 2010 5:36:42 PM

Have you tried everything suggested here about switching fans and slots and updating the bios.

The OP has returned his board as faulty, do you have that option if needed?
m
l
December 27, 2010 5:51:45 PM

Yes, i have the option, although I purchased it online and it will be a pain in the ass to RMA it...

I've done all the suggested above with the exact same results than the original poster. However, I've found an interesting thing. The problem disappears with qfan turned off or with qfan on manual mode, it apppears when it's set on standard turbo or silent mode. How can this be? I thought it had to do with PWM modulation until I found that it works flawlessly in manual mode (PWM being used here too, right?)
m
l
December 28, 2010 7:20:04 AM

Strange, have the same behaviour with my M4A87TD/USB3 and Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 all bought online last week.
The values are changing from N/A to more than 19000RPM in the bios but the cooler stays unimpressed. The temps are all ok even with running prime95. The asus tools show cpu fan values until 150000RPMs which are definitively ridiculous.
I also do not want to send back my board (as it has to be sent back with all the stuff what that was inside the package and after installing a system it is pretty hard to find out which screw comes from which package).
Are there even more users complaining the same issue?

m
l
a b à CPUs
December 28, 2010 9:15:16 AM

Has anyone tried emailing Asus, they may be aware of it and be planning an update to fix.
m
l
December 28, 2010 10:05:05 AM

I just emailed them about this problem, and will keep you posted. :hello: 
m
l
December 28, 2010 10:09:10 AM

Just a thought I also am using an arctic 7 cooler wonder if that is the issue, although it did work fin when plug into the chassis fan slot on the mobo, thats just a weird coincidence !
m
l
December 28, 2010 1:51:20 PM

Their response was try a bios update (which I did) and if that doesn't work call for warranty service at 812.282.2787

Just got another response- Those issues can be caused by some aftermarket CPU Cooler fans (you didn't say if you were using the stock AMD cooler or not), but at any rate we've forwarded your issue to our Engineering department to see if this issue can be duplicated and if so, corrected in a future BIOS version.
m
l
December 28, 2010 4:07:09 PM

2 users with the exact same problem with the exact same board and the exact same cooler. A third user (thread starter) with a different model of board but same chipset, and a different version of our same cooler, with the same problem.

Can you confirm that the problem disappears with qfan disabled or in manual mode?
m
l
December 28, 2010 9:45:56 PM

well since i did an rma on the mobo i no longer have it here to test, but i seem to remember disabling the qfan and switch from manual and the problem persisted.
m
l
December 29, 2010 12:27:10 PM

First of all a big thank you to all who are helping here.

I did some investigations.
I used Bios 11.01, Speedfan 4.42, PC Probe II V1.04.87

Qfan silent or standard: the CPU Fan Speed in Bios shows incorrect values
Speedfan and PC Probe are showing incorrect values

Qfan manual or turbo: the CPU Fan Speed in Bios shows correct values

When using manual or turbo PC Probe II and Speedfan are showing incorrect values.
Speedfan toggles between 13RPM and 10547RPM
PC Probe toggles between 0RPM and 75000RPM

the PC Probe log shows entries like
[12.29.2010 at 01:51 pm] CPU Fan unnormal, 0 RPM

[12.29.2010 at 01:51 pm] CPU Fan normal, 675000 RPM

[12.29.2010 at 01:52 pm] CPU Fan unnormal, 0 RPM

[12.29.2010 at 01:58 pm] CPU Fan unnormal, 0 RPM

[12.29.2010 at 01:58 pm] CPU Fan normal, 675000 RPM

[12.29.2010 at 01:58 pm] CPU Fan unnormal, 0 RPM

[12.29.2010 at 02:04 pm] CPU Fan unnormal, 0 RPM

[12.29.2010 at 02:04 pm] CPU Fan normal, 789 RPM

[12.29.2010 at 02:04 pm] CPU Fan unnormal, 0 RPM
m
l
December 29, 2010 2:32:04 PM

Is your freezer the normal freezer pro or the freezer pro rev.2? I'm with the rev.2 and, although qfan affects it, it works flawlessly on manual/disabled ON THE BIOS. All I've tested on software is that on disabled (which is the way I have it due to this problem), speedfan and pcprobe show correct values.
m
l
December 29, 2010 6:33:57 PM

- Freezer is pro rev.2

- qfan disabled -> speedfan and pcprobe show incorrect values.

it looks like an asus problem. I have googled for "qfan 75000 RPM" and there are other users around the world with other asus boards but similar problems.
m
l
December 29, 2010 8:54:56 PM

The only relevant result for 19640rpm, however, is this thread. The other result (in spanish) is not relevant to this.
m
l
December 31, 2010 7:33:49 AM

Today I had "F1 error" (no cpu fan) with manual and with turbo mode also. The only solution is to disable qfan or to diable F1 error. I will try for a while with disabling F1 error hoping qfan is working nevertheless.
m
l
December 31, 2010 12:33:01 PM

I asume "cpu fan error" is given when the bios checks the fan status at the moment at which it reports N/A. That's what made me discover the whole problem, otherwise I would have never found it!
m
l
January 17, 2011 1:23:15 PM

ok just for an update got the new mobo back from Rma installed it and what do you know cpu fan error go into bios and check fan rpm all over the map, so i disabled qfan and viola fan error is gone as well as erratic rpm so i guess qfan must be to blame! with it disable its no fan is no louder so i wonder what that option even does.
m
l
January 23, 2011 11:31:01 PM

Didn't I already post what you just said? If you want to know, it's the same with qfan on manual mode, no errors. However, QFAN does work on mine. Note that it's only CPU QFAN. I've seen other mobos which have qfan for all the fans, but that's not the case. This one only has "cpu qfan" option.

This is probably the reason you think it doesn't work, because the ones making the major part of the noise are the other fans. I can confirm the cpu fan speed increases when the cpu is under load and that the idle speed is different in the turbo/standard/silent mode.

I think it must be something regarding the PWM speed control. Somehow, the way this mobo does it interfer with the speed sensor in the arctic cooling freezer pro rev.2
m
l
May 10, 2011 9:55:39 AM

I use the Artic Freezer Pro7 Rev 2 on an Asus P8P67 MB with an Intel I5 2500K CPU

The stock cooler reads fine and works perfectly in QFAN mod and Asus Fan Control, but the speed readings from the Freezer 7 are all over the place most of the time.
It does sometimes work correctly, reading RPMs between 680 and 2050. Other times it varies from 19,000 to 56,000.

The fan control is working correctly, you can hear and see it ramping up as the CPU comes under load and falling back to idle. Running some benchmark progs you can see the CPU temp rising and falling, followed within seconds by a response from the fan controller.

I suspect it is probally a bug with the Artic cooler as the stock cooler reads OK.

I would have sent it back but its such a great cooler at a senseable price.

perhaps if the new processor is as clever as it looks it will learn to talk 'Artic'?
m
l
May 17, 2011 7:45:34 AM

My Arctic F12 Pro PWM has the same problem in my new computer with a just released Asus P8B WS mobo which I updated to the latest BIOS. This has PWM control over CPU and chassis fans. I set the 3/4 pin chassis fan select jumper to 4 pin, and tried the fan on the CPU and two different chassis fan connectors. Same erratic RPM reading with QFan enabled that others have found. In the BIOS setup, it seems to read better in manual mode, but in Windows it reads wrong, and not just with Asus Probe (which has CPU temp wrong but not BIOS best I can tell).

With all the things I tried, sometimes indicated RPM is erratic, other times fairly steady, just too high. However the fan is steady and actually changes speed as expected.

My question is, do other PWM fans read RPM ok with all QFan modes? I tried another one from a different manufacturer and it seems to be reliable (BIOS setup and Asus Probe in Windows), and a manually adjustable CPU fan (with a knob) reads fine at all RPMs.

Note that the 3/4 pin fan select jumper doesn't seem to work on the CPU fan, because my 3 pin fan wouldn't change speed on this connector, and it would on the chassis fan connectors with the jumper on 3 pin position.

If you're not into electronics ignore this....
Maybe it's a BIOS issue, or maybe a circuit problem like poor RPM signal. I haven't looked at the signals, but is the PwM signal from the mobo literally PWM, or just a steady voltage that's proportional to the desired speed? I would think the latter due to the electronically commutated motor. If the mobo sends an actual PWM signal, there could be crosstalk on the wires with a poorly designed circuit (or any other interference source) which is why I'm wondering.

I also just thought maybe it's worth trying to shield the cable or add a filter, assuming it's some kind of interference. Maybe I'll do it, but what a pain for a relatively cheap part. If there is one that works that's just as quiet or better, I'll take it!

David
m
l
May 23, 2011 11:43:53 AM

I have found the exact same problem with my new motherboard - Asus M4A87TD EVO AM3. Fan speed with the Arctic Freezer Pro 7 Rev 2 fluctuates between 0 and 100's of thousands RPM. Fan is running. I emailed Arctic tech support and they were worse than useless. Twice the tech ignored the question and told me to get a bigger cooler (I was also complaining that this cooler was no better than the stock cooler; except it's quieter). I have AMD Phenom II x4 3.2GHz running at the default clock speeds and the Freezer Pro 7 just wasn't cutting the mustard.

I bought a Freezer Pro 13, which is about double the size and cooling capacity of the '7'. MUCH better results - CPU temp is about 42°C on full load (Prime 95). With the Freezer 7, it was hitting 52°C. I'm in Texas and my ambient room temp is usually 27°C. The Freezer 13 also does NOT exhibit the fluctuating RPM reading like the 7 does. I didn't bother RMA-ing the '7'; I just used it on an older PC that doesn't have PWM fan control.

One thing that is still bugging me - the CPU fan speed control works perfectly, but the 'Chassis' channel goes up and down in big jumps. The BIOS isn't controlling the speed in accordance to what I've set in the FanXpert software. It shows output pegged on 100% when it should be 40%. If I re-apply the already present settings, it behaves itself - for that session. When I get a chance, I'm going to daisy chain ALL of the fans (they're all Arctic PWM) to the CPU fan channel.
m
l
July 15, 2011 8:59:41 PM

Hello

I have M4A89GTD PRO with latest bios and ARCTIC COOLING FREEZER 7 PRO REV.2
The RPM fluctuates between 0 and 100's of thousands RPM for me as well

m
l
November 3, 2011 9:26:53 PM

I was having the same problem on my Asus M5A97 pro and Arctic freezer 7 rev.2. I solved the problem by disabling the FAN Xpert in the AI Suite. Both the AI Suite and Blackbox software now show the correct fan speed and RPM still increses/decreases with cpu temp.

So for all still having this problem would reccomend doing the same, for other mobos try disabling any fan control setting on your respective manufacturers mobo software suite, as it would seem it conflicts with certain third party coolers.

Hope this helps.
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 27, 2012 7:02:42 AM

I have M5A97 mobo, and i recently bought Artic Cooling Freezer Pro Rev.2 and I have the same problem as the rest of the people here. The RPM readings are bouncing from 0 to 675000 rpm.. But when I set the fan to run on 45% speed it started to show the correct readings and stopped giving the "WARNING! cpu_fan 0 rpm" (Oh and I used AI Suite II to change the speed)
But it still sometimes when i start the computer gives the error where it says that the fan isnt spinning at all, even though it clearly is... (sorry for my bad english.)
m
l
July 11, 2012 11:05:39 AM

I'm having same problem here with a DELL XPS 7100, I've fitted new arctic cooler and got CPU fan error at start up, fan is working fine rpm speed goes from 0 to 1350 to 335000, temps are great ,23 degrees, I guess is just this type of fan that causing rpm going mad. Dell bios sucks there's no option to disable fan warning or either settings.
m
l
July 20, 2012 8:09:03 AM

tornado3984 said:
I was having the same problem on my Asus M5A97 pro and Arctic freezer 7 rev.2. I solved the problem by disabling the FAN Xpert in the AI Suite. Both the AI Suite and Blackbox software now show the correct fan speed and RPM still increses/decreases with cpu temp.

So for all still having this problem would reccomend doing the same, for other mobos try disabling any fan control setting on your respective manufacturers mobo software suite, as it would seem it conflicts with certain third party coolers.

Hope this helps.

----------------------------------------
Hi tornado3984

I'm having the same problem with a Arctic freezer rev 2. Mobo is an Asus P8Z77-V Pro. I've disabled monitoring in the bios and everything has settled down.

My reason for contacting you is that you said that you disabled the "FAN Xpert" in the AI suite. Where is the AI suite? I haven't yet installed an operating system so I don' have access to the utilities on the Asus cd that comes with the mobo. Installing windows is my next step. Another qustion - What is "blackbox software"?

I was thinking about sending the mobo back but from what I've read it seems to be a fan issue. Woud you agree?

Thanks for your help in advance

Clistivan
m
l
August 9, 2012 11:44:51 AM

Clistivan said:
Hi tornado3984

I'm having the same problem with a Arctic freezer rev 2. Mobo is an Asus P8Z77-V Pro. I've disabled monitoring in the bios and everything has settled down.

My reason for contacting you is that you said that you disabled the "FAN Xpert" in the AI suite. Where is the AI suite? I haven't yet installed an operating system so I don' have access to the utilities on the Asus cd that comes with the mobo. Installing windows is my next step. Another qustion - What is "blackbox software"?

I was thinking about sending the mobo back but from what I've read it seems to be a fan issue. Woud you agree?

Thanks for your help in advance

Clistivan

The AI Suite comes inside the mobo CD. I have the same problem with my artic cooler pro 7 and for now my solution has been to disable the cpu qfan. I didn't install the AI Suite because I thought I wouldn't need it but I'm going to make what tornado made and enable qfan and see what happen.
m
l
September 13, 2012 10:39:54 PM

Hi all,

this is my experience with this "Fan Error and bad spin readings" problem.

My config is:
Asus M5A97
Athlon II X3 440
Artic Freezer Pro 7

I can confirm that disabling Fan Xpert can solve the problem. In my case i figured out that the wrong readings happens at fan power lower than 40%, so as alternative you can leave Fan Xpert on an define a "User Setting" where it spins at least at 40%.

m
l
January 9, 2013 11:53:52 AM

Clistivan said:
Hi tornado3984

And now I too am experiencing the same using the ASUS P8Z77-V Pro and yes - The Arctic Cooler Pro 7. Reading are all over the place and I had to resort to disable moniorting.

Will be looking at a new cooler shortly.

Cheers!

VP
m
l
March 18, 2014 9:59:05 AM

Vocalpointe said:
Clistivan said:
Hi tornado3984

And now I too am experiencing the same using the ASUS P8Z77-V Pro and yes - The Arctic Cooler Pro 7. Reading are all over the place and I had to resort to disable moniorting.

Will be looking at a new cooler shortly.

Cheers!

VP

The likely culprit is the circuitry within the Arctic Freezer fan assembly. My brand new Arctic Freezer Pro Rev. 2 was showing wildly erratic RPM's in both my motherboard's BIOS and even in the CPUID HWMonitor utility. I replaced the fan assembly with an older Arctic Freezer Pro 7 fan assembly and the problem was resolved. So at least in my case, it certainly appears a defective Arctic Freezer fan assembly is the cause of getting erratic CPU fan RPM readings.

m
l
April 8, 2014 10:14:07 PM

I just built up an AMD 8320 on Asus A5A97 in Enermax case, I am not a computer guy by any means but took on the challenge and it was awesome! I too get an erratic fan reading but it comes from my cha_fan3 which is my front led case fan that has an led on/off control switch on front of case. In bios it runs from 1397 jumped to 675,000 up and down I tried the qfan and it did nothing except drop my cpu temp down to 35c from 39c and its steady. I have 6 fans, front, back, two top and cpu (stock cooler for now) IDK what the case fan is that is causing the jump but my other fans are stable (coolermaster sickleflow 120) plus one connected to molex off the mobo. they all sound great so I hope it is a reading problem with the controller on the front fan. A bios update is scary right now but will figure that out after I install windows ans maybe I try the 40% option listed above. Thanks for all the good stuff in this thread
m
l
!