Decided to build (as opposed to buy) - check my build!! :)

Hey guys, after some thought and much needed verbal beatings from you all :D I decided to build instead of buy. I've pieced together my build based on reviews and suggestions.

What do you think? What would you change / keep? I'll be ordering mostly from newegg.

-Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
-CPU: Intel Core i7-950 3.06GHz
-Video Card(x2): EVGA GeForce GTX 460 (fermi)
-SSD (for OS): Patriot Inferno 2.5" 60GB SATA II
-HDD (for data): Samsung spinpoint 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
-RAM (x2 sticks): Corsair 4GB 240-pin DDR3 1333
-PSU: Corsair Pro series AX850 850W gold
-case: undecided

I'll post individual prices if needed, but the whole thing is looking around $1,500.

Your help is appreciated!
7 answers Last reply
More about decided build opposed check build
  1. Forgot to add the cooling system.. Still undecided on that!
  2. For gaming?

Ram looks mediocre.
  3. Look at the OCZ Agility 2, OCZ Vertex 2 and Gskill Pheonix SSDs. Basically all identical so get the best price.

CPU coolers (assuming case is 8 inches wide)
    Kingwin 1264
    Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus
    Scythe Mugen 2 (SCMG-2100)
    Xigmatek Balder
    Kigmatek Dark Knight

That is an excessively powerful and expensive PSU for a pair of 460s.
    I would look at some other options:
    Antec TruePower 750 (or TP(blue) if a blue LED matches your case choice)<bronze certified>
    Seasonic 750W <silver certified>
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151101

If you are going to get a an Antec case (like the 1200 or Antec P193/P183) you should strongly consider the Antec CP850 PSU. Its a great deal because its large size means it only fits in certain cases.
  4. sp12 said:
    For gaming?

Ram looks mediocre.

8GB ram is mediocre? To clarify, it's 4Gb x 2.
  5. Size isn't typically measured by a unit of quality, like mediocre. The ram modules themselves aren't very nice.

Could you link to the specific one? All of the Corsair 1333 (which is not a good speed for overclocking) modules are mediocre, but some less so than others. There's actually a decent kit on sale right now for 145$.
  6. Xenoslayer33 said:
    8GB ram is mediocre? To clarify, it's 4Gb x 2.

4GB (2x2GB) DDR3-1600 cas7 will get you better gaming performance than 8GB DDR3-1333, unless you are doing something unusual you are sure will break 4GB.
  7. sp12 said:
    Size isn't typically measured by a unit of quality, like mediocre. The ram modules themselves aren't very nice.

Could you link to the specific one? All of the Corsair 1333 (which is not a good speed for overclocking) modules are mediocre, but some less so than others. There's actually a decent kit on sale right now for 145$.

Arrg! Unfortunately I can't even find what I was looking at on newegg...

I'll your word for it. Would you mind linking me to some good quality ram?
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Build Systems Product