What LGA1155 Core i7 Board for Server 2008 R2 x64?

I just purchased the Asus Maximus Extreme-Z motherboard and Intel Core i7 2600K with the intent of running Server 2008 R2 and a bunch of Hyper-V VMs, I've been using a Gigabyte MB with an Intel Core2Quad for years doing this. I was quite surprised to find out that this new board doesn't support Server 2008R2! I did quite a bit of poking around, modifying INF files, etc.. to get the chipset and various other drivers to install but I just can't get the Audio and LAN drivers to install. In the end, it looks like this board was intentionally designed with chipsets that don't support Server 2008 R2 x64 even though it does support Win7 x64. (I never saw 2008 R2 not like Win 7 drivers before)

So since I am stuck with the CPU (not returnable to newegg), I want to purchase a different MB. Does anyone know of any which are known to have drivers available that support Server 2008 R2 x64?

It must support 32GB DDR3 RAM, SATA controller supporting RAID 10 (preferably 6Gb/s).. I loved that the Asus board had so many SATA connectors, though it's annoying that the (4) 6Gb/s connectors were on two separate controllers preventing me from creating a 4-drive RAID 10 array at 6Gb/s...
-Keith
2 answers Last reply
More about what lga1155 core board server 2008
  1. I'm having the same problem...I think it's the cpu itself. First tried a asus p8z68-vpro. When I couldn't get network drivers to load I swapped the mb for intel dp67bg with the exact same result. I successfully got server 2008 r2 to run on a non sandy bridge i7 / asus mb combo a few months back...thought this would be a snap.

I think I'm now in the market for a gen1 i7 - for my home server. Good luck...
  2. keitheii said:
    I just purchased the Asus Maximus Extreme-Z motherboard and Intel Core i7 2600K with the intent of running Server 2008 R2 and a bunch of Hyper-V VMs, I've been using a Gigabyte MB with an Intel Core2Quad for years doing this. I was quite surprised to find out that this new board doesn't support Server 2008R2! I did quite a bit of poking around, modifying INF files, etc.. to get the chipset and various other drivers to install but I just can't get the Audio and LAN drivers to install. In the end, it looks like this board was intentionally designed with chipsets that don't support Server 2008 R2 x64 even though it does support Win7 x64. (I never saw 2008 R2 not like Win 7 drivers before)

So since I am stuck with the CPU (not returnable to newegg), I want to purchase a different MB. Does anyone know of any which are known to have drivers available that support Server 2008 R2 x64?

It must support 32GB DDR3 RAM, SATA controller supporting RAID 10 (preferably 6Gb/s).. I loved that the Asus board had so many SATA connectors, though it's annoying that the (4) 6Gb/s connectors were on two separate controllers preventing me from creating a 4-drive RAID 10 array at 6Gb/s...
    -Keith

What motherboard did you finally go with? I was browsing the internet and came across your post. I currently use an Asus P8Z68-V with an i7-2600K with 32GB GSkill memory, running a 4 x 150GB 1st generation western digital raptors at 1.5GB/s transfer rate in a RAID-0, 128k stripe configuration, no issues thus far, I'm using VMWare 9.0 Workstation for virtual machine creations. Also I opted to use an Intel Dual Port Server Network Adapter, but I did have an issue with the onbaord NIC and drivers and was unable to use the onbaord NIC. Anyway, Let me know what board you settled on. Thanks. glenn_keawe@cox.net
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Support Intel i7 Servers