470GTX power supply requirements

nick_89

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
Hi.
I am thinking of upgrading to a 470GTX to run along my 9800GTX+ and just wanted to make sure i can do so my specs are.
I7 920 stock standard.
1 9800GTX+ stock standard.
6GBs DDR3 RAM @ 1066Mhz.
Asus P6T deluxe motherboard.
thermaltake Totalpower Qfan W0204 PSU 850 watts 62A on 12V rail.
1 large fan up top 1 large fan on the side and one smaller at the back.
Antec series 9 case.
I want to use the 470GTX with my current 9800GTX if i can because according to 2K recommended specs for physics x are exactly that.

I'm confident hardware wise ill have no problems, only thing im worried about is the heat.
while playing L4D 2 everything on max MSAA 8x system temps around 55C and i have heard 470s run extremely hot so im concerned i dont have enough cooling.
will the fans i have be enough to cool the card, water cooling ATM is not viable ATM.

also, i spoke to a hardware retailer about this and he told me if heats a problem just leave the side panels off.
is that a good idea? dust, and co wont cause any problems will it?
any help, advice will be greatly appreciated!
thanks.

nick_89

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
i got my 470GTX today, 380 Asus from TX computers. its currently running at 50C at the moment while just idling in vista with nothing open.
is it a good idea to leave one of the side panels off? that should help air circulation, but im worried dust settling on the circuitry could damage it.
good idea, or bad?

unknown_13

Distinguished
May 12, 2009

I'd say a bad idea. The air won't circulate in the case, so this isn't always a good idea. I have my HD 4850 idling around 50C too, up to 74-75C when gaming. Running about a year or more with 0 problems.

nick_89

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
Hi guys me again.
I have spent the last few days playing BFBC2 and metro 2033 on my new GTX470 and everything seems to be running smoothly.
i read a few PC mafia 2 reviews today and apparently if you want to run it on max you need at least a 470 and a 9800GTX for the physX.

now here is the question can i SLI a 470 and a 9800GTX?
last time i checked you cant SLI 2 different family cards but the guy who sold me the card says you can.
will it work? just want to do my homework before i go playing around with things and end up frying my 420 dollar card!
thanks.

In a word, no.

Dane Bouwer

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

take a look at this setup with the panel closed:

http://www.google.co.za/imgres?imgurl=http://www.build-your-own-computer.net/image-files/computer-tower-cases-01.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.build-your-own-computer.net/computer-tower-cases.html&usg=__Af589pm2o5fUQgIwSa8pfBrtSFA=&h=409&w=600&sz=34&hl=en&start=11&zoom=1&itbs=1&tbnid=djAPbbBfd6i_qM:&tbnh=92&tbnw=135&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dairflow%2Bpc%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DX%26tbs%3Disch:1%26prmd%3Div

with the panel closed, the air has a constant flow and dramatically reduce temperatures! opening the panel leaves chance of "hot spots" and temp damage to other components of your pc! so bad idea to open the side panel of the pc!

have you considered in using your 9800 GTx as a dedicated physx card? this will help with physx operations and is easily set up in the nvidia display settings!! great benefits in using this!!

you won't be able to Sli the two cards because of them being different GPU's but you can, by all means, run them in a multi GPU format!

and 850W is more than enough!!

just my thought

Dane

unknown_13

Distinguished
May 12, 2009

+1 to the text in bold.

nick_89

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
how would i set that up?
i thought if your using 2 cards you had no choice but to SLI them.

i inserted my 9800GTX into my motherboard earlier this arvo in the 2nd PCIE slot with the 470 in the first, now for some reason i could not get a signal using the 470 only when i plugged the VGA cable into the 9800 did i get a signal.
now i removed the 9800 and still i cant get a signal on the 470.
all i did was plug in a new card and now the 470 wont work, the fan is going and everything but when i plug the VGA cable in and turn my monitor on it says signal not detected.
i even tried a HDMI cable and switched it to the HDMI input same problem.
please dont tell me i have damaged my card.
any ideas on whats going on?
thanks!

Dane Bouwer

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
if you are using two cards of the same GPU (2 x 470), then yes, but the GPU config is different, and only multi GPU set up can be done here!!

I don't think it is the card, but maybe the motherboard! I think the motherboard has three 16X slots...have you tried mixing and matching slots...?

power connecters? are all the corresponding power connecters connected properly to your setup?

remember both cards need independent power (not from motherboard), but from direct power, from power supply......you sure you got it all right?

nick_89

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
what remove the drivers for the 470? cant do that because i cant get a signal out of the stupid thing, and when i have both in there and use the 9800 as the display i go into the nvidia control panel and it can only detect the 9800, same with windows device manager.

it does have 3, i have not tried mixing and matching the slots.
ok heres how i started, my PC game built from MSY a year ago and had the 9800GTX in the first (blue) PCIE16 slot. so last week i removed the 9800 and placed the 470 in the same slot. now tonight i left the 470 in the same slot and added the 9800 in the second slot (white) than the control panel could not detect the 470 so i removed the 9800 and left the 470 in its original slot still the first one to see if it could detect it.

everything should be fine because i have not changed anything, all i did was add in the 9800 into the 2nd slot and since the 470 did not give me a signal i used the 9800 than went into nvidias control panel to have a look why and i could not detect the 470.
the only thing that has changed is i added a cable to my PSU to power the 9800 and inserted it, everything to do with the 470 has not been changed.

470 was working like a dream till i added the 9800 as soon as i added that the 470 stopped sending a signal to my monitor and stopped being detected in windows device manager and nvidias control center.
i have never seen anything like this before, ive added, swapped and changed video cards before many times with no issues.
though never with dual cards, i normally take the old one out and replace it with a new one.

when i first hooked up my monitor to the 9800GTX+ since the 470 was not working it asked me to install the drivers.
so i went to nvidias website and checked to see if the 470GTX drivers were compatible with the 9800GTX since i had already downloaded those, the site said its compatible with the 7,8,9 and 4 series GPUs so i installed it.
maybe in installing the drivers for the 9800 its maybe uninstalled the drivers on the 470, though why this would stop the 470 from sending a signal to the monitor is beyond me!

i would love to use 2 470s now but cant because there so dam expensive, and the heat.
just the 470 alone its running at 60 under full load, i add another 470 i can imagine it would increase that too much.
plus my case is really small, the PCIE slots are so close to the PSU the MB design is the worst ive ever seen!
who puts PCIE slots 5cms away from the PSU, and directly above the south bridge?
the chip sets getting so hot its directly transferring heat to my card.

nick_89

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
o, BTW i forgot to mention the 9800s a gigabyte compared to the 470 which is a Asus.
dont think that would make any difference, but ive seen weirder things in the past!

nick_89

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
Hi.
rang Asus this arvo and told them that my 470 is not sending a signal to my monitor so he said we cannot give me any info what so ever, they said they dont give support for anything but laptops.
what the? how can you not support a product you make!?

my 470GTX is still not sending a signal to the monitor.
i now have the 9800GTX in the first (blue) slot and the 470GTX in the 2nd slot (white) if i hook up a DVI cable to the 470 my monitor displays no signal detected than goes to sleep.
if i hook up my 9800GTX i get into windows than get a error message saying cannot detect card information.
go into device manager it can see the 9800GTX but not the 470, same with nvidia control panel.

I even tried installing the drivers off the disk and got a error saying no drivers for your hardware were found setup will now exit.
so i downloaded the latest drivers from Asus and again same error as trying to use the disk.

I even rang up the guy i purchased the card from and he told me to update my BIOS.
its really old 2008 in fact, so i downloaded the latest BIOS and it only has a ROM file no exe file to run the flash.
so i rang asus told them that and they said yea thats how it should be, so i asked how do i flash my bios and he said im sorry we cant give out any support for anything but notebooks.
which program can i use to flash my P6T deluxe to the latest BIOS, and would this solve my problem?
god, now i can see why people don't bother with PC gaming its no where near worth the hassle!
3 days trying to get this work, i have lost all my hair and am about to lug my PC out the window!
please help!!!!!!!

nick_89

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
thats for SLI, im not using SLI, i cant because there 2 different family GPUs.
im 100% positive my bios is part of the problem that would explain why i cant see the 470 with the 9800 in there also.
as for why the 470 cant be detected by itself is another story.
how do i flash my bios on my P6T deluxe? i cant get Asus customer support to budge!
one things for sure, im never buying Asus again!
never in my 21 years on this planet have i purchased a product and the manufacture is A so rude and B 100% refusing to help!

unknown_13

Distinguished
May 12, 2009

Go to the asus website, locate your mobo, click on it, then go to the download section. Choose your OS and it'll give you a list of what you can download (there is probably an updated BIOS).

edit-oh are you looking for ASUS Update??:D It's a program that loads the .rom file. If i find it, i'll post a link.

Here:
http://support.asus.com/technicaldocuments/technicaldocuments_content.aspx?no=714

Download and follow the instructions.

nick_89

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
Hi.
i downloaded the Asus update installed it and when i go to run the program it takes ages to open than finally opens and gives me a error saying can not find bios info.
i tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it and no luck same error.
any ideas how i can rectify this?