Sure-fire symptoms of dead motherboard ?

steve2470

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
Sorry for the newbish question and I know you have to do troubleshooting and elimination on all *possible* motherboard problems.

Are there any symptoms where it's a very sure bet it's the motherboard and not the PSU or memory or CPU, etc ?

If not, I apologize for the newbish question. Thank you very much for your time.

Steve

Solution
I wish there was a 100% guaranteed way to determine a failed/bad MOBO. The only 100% is to replace ALL of the components with compatible + known good components. Example: RAM, PSU, GPU is no onboard VGA, and CPU -- and then only in a FULL BREADBOARD which means no headers connected e.g. USB, Audio & Front Panel.

Failure Rates on older systems:
1. PSU
2. RAM
3. MOBO
4. GPU
5. CPU
I wish there was a 100% guaranteed way to determine a failed/bad MOBO. The only 100% is to replace ALL of the components with compatible + known good components. Example: RAM, PSU, GPU is no onboard VGA, and CPU -- and then only in a FULL BREADBOARD which means no headers connected e.g. USB, Audio & Front Panel.

Failure Rates on older systems:
1. PSU
2. RAM
3. MOBO
4. GPU
5. CPU

Solution
Yeah true, here's a MOBO from one OP I helped - a truly 'toasted' MOBO.

Sure 'FIRE' way:
CPU_FIRE_TP.jpg

I myself had to grapple with MOBO & GPU failure rates, and up until LGA 1155 would have agreed - 3. GPU & 4. MOBO. Excluding the B2 recall, the MOBO failure rate post LGA 1155 is significantly higher for MOBO than GPU.

However, lately the MOBO failure rate has been leveling-off.

Ask me again in 6 months and the answer might be different.

I stick by my rating.

TRENDING THREADS