Solved

Sure-fire symptoms of dead motherboard ?

Sorry for the newbish question and I know you have to do troubleshooting and elimination on all *possible* motherboard problems.

Are there any symptoms where it's a very sure bet it's the motherboard and not the PSU or memory or CPU, etc ?

If not, I apologize for the newbish question. Thank you very much for your time.

Steve
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about sure fire symptoms dead motherboard
  1. Best answer
    I wish there was a 100% guaranteed way to determine a failed/bad MOBO. The only 100% is to replace ALL of the components with compatible + known good components. Example: RAM, PSU, GPU is no onboard VGA, and CPU -- and then only in a FULL BREADBOARD which means no headers connected e.g. USB, Audio & Front Panel.

Failure Rates on older systems:
    1. PSU
    2. RAM
    3. MOBO
    4. GPU
    5. CPU
  2. The only 100% way I know to say it is the motherboard is watching the smoke escape from the motherboard. Once the genii is out of the bottle it refuses to go back in.
  3. Yeah true, here's a MOBO from one OP I helped - a truly 'toasted' MOBO.

Sure 'FIRE' way:
  4. Best answer selected by steve2470.
  5. Quote:
    Failure Rates on older systems:
    1. PSU
    2. RAM
    3. MOBO
    4. GPU
    5. CPU
    From my experience I'd invert number 3 and 4. GPUs tend to fail way faster than a motherboard and for many reasons.
  6. I myself had to grapple with MOBO & GPU failure rates, and up until LGA 1155 would have agreed - 3. GPU & 4. MOBO. Excluding the B2 recall, the MOBO failure rate post LGA 1155 is significantly higher for MOBO than GPU.

However, lately the MOBO failure rate has been leveling-off.

Ask me again in 6 months and the answer might be different.

I stick by my rating.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards CPUs Memory