Sign in with
Your question

Harddrive letter issue

Last response: in Storage
January 6, 2013 2:11:03 PM

I replaced my harddrive to my Dell mini 1010. My other one fried. However, in my infinite wisdom, I changed the boot sequence in the bios so that I could boot from cd so I could reinstall the operating system (XP, SP3). the 500 gb harddrive was formatted and the operating system reinstalled. However, it became drive E and the multi-card reader became drive C. I was successful in changing the multi-card reader from drive C to drive D. Does that clear the way to change the new harddrive letter to C without any further issues? It really would not matter much to me except that when I try to update the bios, it wants to flash to drive C and I cannot change it to the drive letter the system assigned the harddrive to (E). If I do change the harddrive letter to C, what will happen to the programs, updates, and files that have already been installed and stored? Thank you!

More about : harddrive letter issue

a b G Storage
January 6, 2013 2:15:06 PM

There will be a lot of registry entries pointing to drive E: now. The best way to proceed would be to disconnect any USB devices (like the card reader), then format and re-install. Since you just did this, Presumably you won't need to worry about reloading a lot of data.
If you cannot physically disconnect them (this is a laptop?), then disable them in the BIOS first.
m
l
January 6, 2013 2:26:11 PM

I knew you were going to say that:(  This is a netbook with no dvd drive. I have the recovery cd and a recovery on a flashdrive. I have to physicall connect something to the netbook. What would you recommend? How do I make sure drive C will be the harddrive if I have to rearange boot sequence in the bios first?
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
January 6, 2013 3:03:04 PM

I'm not sure what your BIOS options are, but you may be able to set an order in there somewhere. Maybe you can change the letter assignments after you boot but before you run setup?
m
l
January 7, 2013 3:55:10 AM

Why is it so important to reletter the drive to C? Why not give it a letter that isn't a permant Windows lettter so that you will always recognize it. I hate how windows boxes people into thinking that things are a certain way and must stay that way. Assign the Letter "X" for whatever drive you want........
m
l
!