Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Isolating a program on a a different drive

Last response: in Storage
January 6, 2013 2:51:35 PM

Hello everyone,

I have a desktop hard drive setup like this:

Disk 1: Small SSD, contains O/S (Windows 7) and essential apps (office, browser)
Disk 2: Large HDD, contains non-essential apps like games

What I had been doing was changing the install path of my games to disk 2. Recently, I had to reinstall my operating system on disk 1, and my new Windows install couldn't find the games (in the control panel) or play the games on disk 2. I'm wondering if there is a way to completely isolate games on disk 2, so that if I ever needed to reinstall my operating system, I could go back to playing them without needing to reinstall.

I hope I've explained things clearly enough. Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks,
tp1

Best solution

a c 79 G Storage
January 6, 2013 6:24:55 PM

When you install a game or application on your HDD, some files still have to be written to the Windows folder & your user account folder, and entries written the Registry on the SSD, this is unavoidable.

So whenever you re-install Windows, all those support files & Registry entries on the SSD are wiped out. The only way to restore them is to re-install those games and applications that are affected.

I'm afraid there is no way to avoid that.
January 6, 2013 10:53:00 PM

That's a really good point, phil, I didn't consider the registry entries. I guess I'll have to live with the setup then. Thanks for the reply.
m
l
January 6, 2013 10:53:10 PM

Best answer selected by tp1.
m
l
!