LCD blues

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
January 6, 2005 12:01:20 AM

Hi,

Has anyone come up with a workaround for not being able to see what's on
the LCD screen when working in the sunshine ... which is most of the
time.

Thanks, Kit

More about : lcd blues

Anonymous
January 6, 2005 1:20:28 AM

"Kitty" <no@s.p.a.m> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone come up with a workaround for not being able to see what's on
> the LCD screen when working in the sunshine ... which is most of the
> time.
>
> Thanks, Kit

Turn off the sun or work at night.
January 6, 2005 2:10:16 AM

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 21:01:20 -0600, "Kitty" <no@s.p.a.m> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Has anyone come up with a workaround for not being able to see what's on
>the LCD screen when working in the sunshine ... which is most of the
>time.
>
>Thanks, Kit

http://hacks.oreilly.com/pub/h/1736

http://reviews.cnet.com/H_200_LCD_hood/4505-6447_7-3063...

http://www.eagleeyeuk.com/xvp_common_uses.htm (I actually have one of
these. Bulky but works well.

Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."
January 6, 2005 4:42:33 AM

You would have to find a way to innovate some type of shade for it. Or, use
the optical viewfinder, if the camera has one.

--

Yea... Turn off the sun! Don't forget to switch it back on again when you
go indoors.

--

Jerry G.
======

"Kitty" <no@s.p.a.m> wrote in message
Hi,

Has anyone come up with a workaround for not being able to see what's on
the LCD screen when working in the sunshine ... which is most of the
time.

Thanks, Kit
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 7:01:18 AM

"Kitty" <no@s.p.a.m> wrote in news:10tpan89ji32a7f@corp.supernews.com:

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone come up with a workaround for not being able to see what's on
> the LCD screen when working in the sunshine ... which is most of the
> time.

Years ago.

http://www.hoodmanusa.com/
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 8:46:15 AM

Yeah, the rest of us might want to use it! <G>

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
"Jerry G." <jerryg50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You would have to find a way to innovate some type of shade for it. Or,
> use
> the optical viewfinder, if the camera has one.
>
> --
>
> Yea... Turn off the sun! Don't forget to switch it back on again when you
> go indoors.
>
> --
>
> Jerry G.
> ======
>

> "Kitty" <no@s.p.a.m> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone come up with a workaround for not being able to see what's on
> the LCD screen when working in the sunshine ... which is most of the
> time.
>
> Thanks, Kit

Anonymous
January 6, 2005 1:34:26 PM

Kitty wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone come up with a workaround for not being able to see what's
> on the LCD screen when working in the sunshine ... which is most of
> the time.
>
> Thanks, Kit

Avoid buying a camera without a viewfinder - I now tend to use the EVF
(electronic view-finder) much of the time. Cameras with more recent LCDs
may not suffer as badly as older models.

David
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 4:03:54 PM

In article <10tpan89ji32a7f@corp.supernews.com>, "Kitty" <no@s.p.a.m> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone come up with a workaround for not being able to see what's on
> the LCD screen when working in the sunshine ... which is most of the
> time.

There were a number of individuals who make a product to address this
problem. It's nothing more than a plastic viewing hood with a low-power
eyepiece that can either carried around one's neck via the usual
neckstrap, temporarily secured to the LCD screen via velcro, or more
permanently attached (temporarily) using a mounting bracket that is
secured to the camera via the tripod socket on the bottom of the camera.

Use Google and "lcd viewer camera" (quotes and all) as a search item and
see what comes up.

I've used mine only on occasion - I hate carrying around more gadgets than
I have to - and it has proved to be very useful when called upon.

Happy hunting.

ron
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 5:15:00 PM

David J Taylor wrote:
> Kitty wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Has anyone come up with a workaround for not being able to see what's
>> on the LCD screen when working in the sunshine ... which is most of
>> the time.
>>
>> Thanks, Kit
>
> Avoid buying a camera without a viewfinder - I now tend to use the EVF
> (electronic view-finder) much of the time. Cameras with more recent
> LCDs may not suffer as badly as older models.

I don't know how they did it, but the LCD monitor on the CP8700 is
leagues better than the CP5700's.

--
Frank ess
Anonymous

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 21:01:20 -0600, "Kitty" <no@s.p.a.m> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Has anyone come up with a workaround for not being able to see what's on
>the LCD screen when working in the sunshine ... which is most of the
>time.
>
>Thanks, Kit

Move to England.

--
Owamanga!
Anonymous

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 21:01:20 -0600, "Kitty" <no@s.p.a.m> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Has anyone come up with a workaround for not being able to see what's on
>the LCD screen when working in the sunshine ... which is most of the
>time.
>
>Thanks, Kit

I have gone back to the beginings of photography.
I carry a square yard of black fabric with me and drape it over my
head and camera when I want to review the pics in sunlight. Then I
use a slide viewing loupe to magnify the image.

Some things never go out of style!

Robert Strom
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 5:44:31 PM

Robert Strom wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 21:01:20 -0600, "Kitty" <no@s.p.a.m> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Has anyone come up with a workaround for not being able to see
>> what's on the LCD screen when working in the sunshine ... which is
>> most of the time.
>>
>> Thanks, Kit
>
> I have gone back to the beginings of photography.
> I carry a square yard of black fabric with me and drape it over my
> head and camera when I want to review the pics in sunlight. Then I
> use a slide viewing loupe to magnify the image.
>
> Some things never go out of style!

Ain't it the truth. The fabric idea has been percolating over here for a
while.

My previous solution was: get a slide viewer ($3.95 or less), remove the
translucent screen is intended to back a slide and distribute light
evenly. The now-open end is a fair fit for most LCD monitors. I used a
Sharpie® black marker to darken the sides. Works good, and if you don't
like it, you're out not-very-much money. I never got around to adding a
couple Velcro® dots to hold it in place.

--
Frank ess
Anonymous

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 21:01:20 -0600, "Kitty" <no@s.p.a.m> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone come up with a workaround for not being able to see what's on
> the LCD screen when working in the sunshine ... which is most of the
> time.

Simple.

Use the viewfinder.
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 8:20:07 PM

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 14:26:38 GMT, Owamanga <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 21:01:20 -0600, "Kitty" <no@s.p.a.m> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Has anyone come up with a workaround for not being able to see what's on
>>the LCD screen when working in the sunshine ... which is most of the
>>time.
>>
>>Thanks, Kit
>
>Move to England.
>
>--
>Owamanga!

Dang! I hate when an idea of mine is posted before I get a chance.
LOL!
However it seems to not affect many posters who repost same info as if
they only read the OP and no replies before posting ;o)
All aside if you are in USA it will be a lot cheaper to move to the
Seattle area.
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 7:56:09 PM

I use a modified slide viewer too, but find the magnification is a
little too powerful which makes the LCD pixels distracting. I aminly
use it when I want the client to see the image so they don't have to
fool around witha getting the loupe distance correct.

I found a nice low power loupe (5x?) that is about 2" in diamter and
has glass lenses. I carry it in a small pouch on my belt so it is
always handy.

robert Strom

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 14:12:56 -0800, "Frank ess" <frank@fshe2fs.com>
wrote:

>Robert Strom wrote:
>> On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 21:01:20 -0600, "Kitty" <no@s.p.a.m> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Has anyone come up with a workaround for not being able to see
>>> what's on the LCD screen when working in the sunshine ... which is
>>> most of the time.
>>>
>>> Thanks, Kit
>>
>> I have gone back to the beginings of photography.
>> I carry a square yard of black fabric with me and drape it over my
>> head and camera when I want to review the pics in sunlight. Then I
>> use a slide viewing loupe to magnify the image.
>>
>> Some things never go out of style!
>>

>Ain't it the truth. The fabric idea has been percolating over here for a
>while.
>
>My previous solution was: get a slide viewer ($3.95 or less), remove the
>translucent screen is intended to back a slide and distribute light
>evenly. The now-open end is a fair fit for most LCD monitors. I used a
>Sharpie® black marker to darken the sides. Works good, and if you don't
>like it, you're out not-very-much money. I never got around to adding a
>couple Velcro® dots to hold it in place.
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 3:27:48 PM

anyone4tennis@hotmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone come up with a workaround for not being able to see what's on
> the LCD screen when working in the sunshine ... which is most of the
> time.

Some cameras have electronic viewfinders which simply repeat the LCD
display. Others are simpy optical viewfinders. The latter are useless for
close-ups. DSLRs use a mirror and pentaprism for the viewfinder like the
dinosaur SLRs. Choose the camera according to the viewfinder you prefer. The
only option in your present situation would be to increase the LCD
brightness to maximum or try to make 'hood' for the screen - rather like a
square cone - about 100-150mm long.
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 4:28:17 PM

Tom Scales wrote:
> You're kidding, right?

www.google.com: define:troll
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 7:18:26 PM

"stewy" <stewy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> anyone4tennis@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Has anyone come up with a workaround for not being able to see what's on
>> the LCD screen when working in the sunshine ... which is most of the
>> time.
>>
> Some cameras have electronic viewfinders which simply repeat the LCD
> display. Others are simpy optical viewfinders. The latter are useless for
> close-ups. DSLRs use a mirror and pentaprism for the viewfinder like the
> dinosaur SLRs. Choose the camera according to the viewfinder you prefer.
> The
> only option in your present situation would be to increase the LCD
> brightness to maximum or try to make 'hood' for the screen - rather like a
> square cone - about 100-150mm long.

You're kidding, right? An EVF is better than the optical viewfinder on a
Dslr and you can't focus on a dslr with an optical viewpoint.

Best laugh I've had all day!

Tom
!