Sign in with
Your question

Move Windows 7 to a larger HDD

Last response: in Storage
January 6, 2013 2:56:08 PM

I just bought a larger, faster SSD and I'd like to move Windows 7 from its current hard drive to the newer one. I can't really afford to have down time right now, so I wanted to get pointers before I started.

Is it really as simple as performing a system restore to the new drive?

Thank you for any advice.
a b $ Windows 7
a c 317 G Storage
January 6, 2013 4:31:32 PM

While a clean re-install is best, you can clone the hdd to the ssd if you can shrink down and clean up your current install so that it fits on the ssd. I use Ghost 15, Acronis True Image, or EASEUS Todo (freeware) to clone drives and they all work well. You can also do a full image backup to another source and then restore it to the new SSD, although I do a clone to insure control over the SRP location.

It's best to make a system repair disc in case you need it, just type that into the start search window and follow the wizard -- uses one CD -- and fixes the SRP if needed with just one boot up.

Afterwards you will want to check and insure that your partition alignment is correct, just look at the partition offsets of the drive using msinfo32 (components, storage, disks) and insure that the last value, partition starting offset is evenly divisible by 4096.

edit: here is a tutorial of several of the methods: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/149969-ssd-install...
m
l
January 6, 2013 10:02:57 PM

Thanks for the advice and the link. I am actually switching to a larger ssd than my current drive, so I will not need to shrink anything down. Does that make it easier to do the transfer?

RealBeast said:
While a clean re-install is best, you can clone the hdd to the ssd if you can shrink down and clean up your current install so that it fits on the ssd. .........

edit: here is a tutorial of several of the methods: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/149969-ssd-install...

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 317 G Storage
January 7, 2013 12:38:06 AM

Yes, going from a smaller to larger drive allows you to use any of the programs.
m
l
!