9800 GTX+ or HD5770

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eagle117

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Before mid-September at latest, or this week.

BUDGET RANGE: $150

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Purchasing for playing Final Fantasy XIV Online primarily. Video editing with PowerDirector 8.0

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: I have an opportunity to purchase a used 9800 GTX+ for $80 from Craigslist, but this is a DirectX 10 card, and a generation old. Looking at comparable performance, it looks like the HD 5770 only slightly faster, but costs $150 new. Trying to decide which one I should go with while also considering a new build overall.

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Currently running a Core2 Duo E6400, 4 GB DDR2, ATI X1800 XT. Motherboard is PCI-E 1.0, so won't be getting full performance out of any new card, so considering building a new system around AMD Phenom II X4 945 with 4 GB DDR3.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg.com or Microcenter locally.
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: No preference ATI over nVidia at this point. Probably will never SLI/Crossfire

OVERCLOCKING: No SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Most likely not

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Final Fantasy XIV right now is looking like windows 1280x720 is the norm. Monitor seems to have aspect issue running full screen with anything other than 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Not looking to spend a fortune, but something that will last a few years.

Solution

fatfatr

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
If you're looking for something to last a bit longer I'd go with the HD5770. DX11 is pretty much pointless at this price range. The Radeon will perform around 20-30% ahead of the 9800GTX+. I wouldnt worry about the PCIe 1.0 while running a 5770 you should be fine. It wouldn't hurt to upgrade though :D

PowerDirector is GPU accelerated through CUDA which is limited to Nvidia cards so you will probably want to stick with them.
If your native resolution is 1920x1080 I highly recommend you look for a used GTX 260 instead of going with a 9800GTX+. It is still DX10 but is much better suited to gaming at your resolution. Also I would recommend Ebay rather than Craigslist. The feedback system they have is much safer than just buying from some random person on Craigslist. Also $80 isn't a particularly good deal for the card.

Eagle117

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
PowerDirector lists ATI STREAM as well: http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector/faster-performance_en_US.html

So the PCI-e 1.0 vs 2.0 isn't a huge deal? I might try a new card in my current computer in that case. It is 4 years old, so I probably will want something before too long, but maybe I can hold off a bit longer. I just don't want to be trying to run the game on launch day and having a horrible time.

I agree on eBay vs Craigslist, but was thinking about giving it a try. Now I'm thinking maybe not.

zidane721

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010

the 5770 is the better card of the two, the 9800gtx is on par with the 5750 and 4850 while the 5770 is equal to the 260gtx and 4870. i really wouldnt worry to much about directx 11 it will not become mainstream for several years and directx10 cards will play the d11 games.
If your trying to save money i would get on ebay and look for a 4850/4870/4890.

as far as building a new system for final fantasy 14, squaresoft has relesed an offical benchmark to tell how well your system will run the game and my system is similar to the one ur wanting to build so ill list my specs and give u my benchmark to give u an idea of how it will play.

Phenom II X4 940
6gb ddr2 memory
hd 4870 gpu
500 watt psu

highest score possible on the bench mark is 8000 and i score 3700.
score seems kinda low to me as i can play every other game at max so im hopeing the benchmark is overcompensating

Solution

Cool, I guess they added that since I looked into it last.
I would just go for the HD5770 in that case. It is worth the money. You've got some time so just keep an eye on newegg looking for a good deal. They have recently been available for as low as $140 before rebate and $135 after and in general the prices have been trending downward.

Eagle117

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
Thank you Zidane. That is helpful to see a very similar system. I've read that the benchmark tool is based on the Alpha build and they have made significant improvements, so I think real world will be much better.

Any particular preference between 5770, 260gtx and 4870? I've been ATI for years, and swore that my next one would be an nVidia, but at this point I don't really care, as long as I get the best card for the money.

The HD5770 is definitely the best of those. All three have extremely similar performance but the HD5770 has the advantages of DX11 compatibility, support for 3 monitors, more current A/V features and it is much more power efficient than either of the others, especially at idle.

Helltech

Distinguished

+1 on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.