Sign in with
Your question

Need help ASAP

Last response: in Systems
September 27, 2010 11:25:30 PM

I have a computer that I built less than 6 months ago that has been problemsome ever since day 1!

I have it, ready to start testing/ruling things out. Im going to reformat the HD and start from scratch but it's just recently (yesterday) started shutting down on its own... Not like you'd hit the shut down buttom, but like someone un plugged it... Screen just goes black and the computer dies... I start it back up, somtimes it lasts 10-40 minutes, sometimes it dies before the computer starts up fully.

I was suggested to try a new PSU... is this the best way to go? If so, Im going to order one tonight, try it and if it doesnt work, Ill return it.

More about : asap

September 28, 2010 12:07:29 AM

should I start with ordering a new PSU or Memory?

Specs:

Gigabyte X58A mobo
G Skill 1600 ram 4gb
Nvidia GTS 250
Corsair 650watt psu
m
l
September 28, 2010 1:47:09 PM

Anyone?
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
September 28, 2010 3:10:32 PM

When a PC starts up fine but shuts down completely at random, its a good sign of a PSU going bad. Try getting a reliable, good quality brand. A bad PSU can fry your system in a malfunction. Some good names are Corsair, SeaSonic, Antec, XFX and OCZ. Get only 80Plus Certified PSUs because they are most efficient.

If the computer shuts down when you run programs or play games, it could be a sign you are drawing too much power than your PSU can supply. Could also be that you have too much hardware attached to begin with and it's already drawing more than its rated at. Regardless, either of these situations would require a new stronger PSU.

If you are still under warranty, get Corsair to send you a new PSU. You may have just gotten a defective model.
m
l
September 28, 2010 7:31:29 PM

This type of immediate shutdown can also mean you have overheating issues. Mobos have automatic shutdown thresholds to protect you from burning your stuff to a crisp. Maybe you have airflow problems.

What's your fan setup? Do you have a temperature checking program?
m
l
!