Is now the time to build an HTPC?

tshort63

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
I've enjoyed building PCs and have designed but never ordered a couple of HTPCs but each time I get ready it seems like the technology or components mutate -rather than evolve. With PCs things get smaller, or bigger, or faster or cheaper but the basics stay fundamentally the same.

What has me stumped -for now- is how to deploy a 5 TV system with Windows Media Center and "extenders". I am fine with the Ceton quad card, and cable cards from Comcast seem simple enough but when I start looking at adding extenders making my TV set-up another network I begin to question my sanity and/or if I fully understand where this technology is drifting. I assume there is not an answer (and if there was that person would be off with a successful start-up and not on the board) but can anyone shed light on where this technology is headed?

If it helps here is what I currently have with U-verse: one central DVR, one main TV with four other remote TVs with set-top boxes. Would I change that out for one main HTPC and 4 remote Cisco-Linksys Media Center Extenders? It is not so much the $$ as it is not wanting to buy the last dot matrix printer only to see ink jets come to the front...

Thanks for any thoughts....

Mr Pizza

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
No, this is not the time to build an HTPC. HTPC's need a decent graphics card and yes, there are many options, cheap too! But they will get cheaper. The Radeon 5XXX series are coming out around October 12th and by mid-October the 5XXX should be way down, build your HTPC then. It's not that long of a wait, nothing else is really coming out for HTPCs soon after that.