Status
Not open for further replies.

EpicMushroom

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
a while back when i was overclocking i screwed up a voltage and bam! there went my computer, no boot or anything. so recently i decided i wanted to rebuild... not exactly knowing what was wrong i just kind of bought whatever i thought it was. First was the mobo. i bought the new mobo and built off that with my old parts. It finally booted and posted and got into BIOS! SWEET but it would not boot off the hard drives or any cd. so i went and bought a new DVD drive. nothing changed. then new and more ram. nothing changed either. i just got to the blinking terminal screen faster :p. then i bought a new GPU. nothing. then i bought a new hard drive. nothing. So now the only thing i haven't changed is the CPU. I also went to a computer repair shop and they said it was the cpu. they said some copper thing got fried(is that even possible? not bagging on the people. it's a real question) i know it seems obvious that this should be the problem. but is there any other possibility it could be something else? i have tried another PSU also. and it's the same thing. As for the next processor i was thinking a Core 2 Duo.(that should be compatible with the mobo right?)

p.s. sorry for my lack of knowledge. im still young :p

Here are the parts inside to my best knowledge:
Q8400 Core 2 Quad Processor
ASRock P43DE LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard
Some kind of ram :p [sorry]
Diamond Radeon HD 5750
DVD Drive
80gig 7200RPM Hard drive
Zalman Heatsink Fan

and that's all i think that's important for now. any ideas?

Solution
You should be fine. The circuit is broken because of the fried CPU, preventing it from operating properly, but the motherboard itself should be in good shape. The new motherboard shouldn't repeat the problem on you as long as its on defaults. There's still a small chance, but I wouldn't get too worried.

Just don't touch it until you get your new CPU. When you get the CPU, examine the socket prior to installation to make sure there's no visible damage.

zergesys

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010
Given that the "death" seems to have occurred directly after over-volting the CPU, the CPU is indeed the most logical candidate for the issue. What the repair shop guy was probably trying to get at was that the over-volting fried the copper contacts of the CPU/Motherboard.

As for a suitable replacement, any LGA 775 chip with 800-1600 Mhz FSB link will work fine for the motherboard.

EpicMushroom

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010

Thanks! So i will definitely go out and get a new CPU. Do you think that putting the bad CPU's copper contacts could've possible messed up the new mobo's contacts? is that a possibility? just thinking worst comes to worst?

zergesys

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010
You should be fine. The circuit is broken because of the fried CPU, preventing it from operating properly, but the motherboard itself should be in good shape. The new motherboard shouldn't repeat the problem on you as long as its on defaults. There's still a small chance, but I wouldn't get too worried.

Just don't touch it until you get your new CPU. When you get the CPU, examine the socket prior to installation to make sure there's no visible damage.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.