Closed

Upgrading my Dell Dimensions 8400 psu & video card

Hello everyone.
I want to begin by saying that I am really ignorant when it comes to psu's and video cards. Please be patient if I have alot of questions!
I have a Dell Dimensions 8400 and am wanting to get a new video card and possibily a new PSU.

Dell Dimensions 8400
P4 3.0
3.5 gigs of RAM
Radeon x1300 (this is why I want an upgrade!)

I recently had to replace my PSU about a year ago and I replaced it with a Dynex 400w psu from Best Buy. After doing some research, I realized that may have been a mistake.

The research I have done keeps giving me different answers. Some people say a dynex is terrible and others say it works just fine. Also, I am very confused about the psu requirements for video cards. Some say that a 400w psu can run video cards such a 9800 but others say I will fry my computer. I am just not sure how that all works.

Anyway, if you guys could give me some suggestions on how this all works plus a good recommendation for a video card I could use or a good inexpensive PSU (if I need it) I would really appreciate it!
21 answers Last reply
More about upgrading dell dimensions 8400 video card
  1. I'd like to do gaming. I play some light gaming, older stuff mostly, but would like to do more. Need to upgrade because I cannot afford a new PC at this time.
  2. I am not wanting to upgrade my processor, only my video card and possibly my power supply (psu) if need be.
  3. Look at the cheaper Corsair units
    The HD5670 would be a solid choice
    The HD5570 a little easier on the budget
    If you like Nvidia then look at the 9600gt
    With that said your looking at around $200 USD which
    in the US can buy you a stronger complete used system on Craigsllist.
    I just bought a Dell Optiplex 745 for $75 USD
    came with Pentium D 945 3.4,80 gig sata II, 2gb ram

I put in a HD4650 1gb ($45),Lite-on Dvd-rw Sata ($5),certified rebuilt 250gb Seagate Barracuda ($20)= 145 USD
    Eventually I will upgrade the CPU (C2Q or C2D) and 4gb DDR2-800 ram with a $150 budget
    Total cost will be $300
    If you have a decent budget and are willing to learn how to build a system (Toms would be a great help) then a nice AMD setup can be done for under $400 if you shop wisely
    Sorry for rambling
    Hope I helped
  4. Unfortunately, I will not be able to get that kind of money for a while. My wife is still in college and we have a 7 month old so I cannot justify spending very much. What video card would work well or OK with my processor?
  5. Would one of the cheaper Corsair units work with a my computer? Again guys, I am completely ignorant!
  6. Quote:
    lol you serious. I got the same optiplex lying in the back collecting dust. Think a few nasty critters moved init aswell. lol might go clean it up and give it to the kids to mess around with

When I have a Q6600 with 4gb ram I will be happy...
  7. bigkrieg said:
    Would one of the cheaper Corsair units work with a my computer? Again guys, I am completely ignorant!

Pick one that is the same form factor as the one you have currently (mATX or ATX etc)
    Look around the 450-550 watt level
  8. bigkrieg said:
    Unfortunately, I will not be able to get that kind of money for a while. My wife is still in college and we have a 7 month old so I cannot justify spending very much. What video card would work well or OK with my processor?

On a budget I would go with a HD4670
    easy on psu
    priced reasonably
    will handle newer games on low to med settings
    also your CPU is a bottleneck
    It is not fast enough to keep up with the faster video cards
    not a big deal but buying anything too powerful is a waste
  9. An HD4670 is what I have been considering for a while. So would this video card work with my Dynex 400w psu and allow me to play some of the newer stuff?
  10. Since I do only have a p4, would it be worth it to goahead and upgrade the PSU and get a better video card such as a 9800? Maybe get a 500w psu and then the video card?
  11. I have no idea, how do I find out what the AMPS and volts and all that crap?
  12. Quote:
    lol you serious. I got the same optiplex lying in the back collecting dust. Think a few nasty critters moved init aswell. lol might go clean it up and give it to the kids to mess around with

To the OP the HD 4600 series are famous for low power consumption
    I have a HD4650 1gb ($44) on a Dell 280watt psu
    If your really worried about power draw go with a HD4550
    The HD5550 is a good choice also
    Toms picked the HD4650 as best vid card under $50 this year

Also dell sometimes uses power supplies that can be swapped with aftermarket
    You already fit the Dynex in there so just look for one with the same specs (size,connections,Form factor (atx,matx etc)
    Corsair makes some inexpensive but good psus
  13. Quote:
    That will be like eating at a posh restaurant for you init lol :bounce:

Actually I went in there and edited that out
    It wasnt right bringing kids into it
    EDIT
  14. Edit
  15. Quote:
    No im 32 lying in your mothers bedroom. :kaola:

I reported you to the moderators

Hopefully you will be banned :)
  16. bigkrieg said:
    Since I do only have a p4, would it be worth it to goahead and upgrade the PSU and get a better video card such as a 9800? Maybe get a 500w psu and then the video card?

Really in the scheme of things I wouldnt get too crazy spending money on the system
    Stay with your current power supply and go with a HD 4550 or HD4650 both are under $50 USD
    They can handle low to medium settings on most of the newer games and will work with your current Power Supply
    Then save up for a better system in the future
  17. Both of you need to stop. Both of you have stepped out of line, and hijacked the thread. End it now, and focus on Bigkrieg's post.
  18. aford10 said:
    Both of you need to stop. Both of you have stepped out of line, and hijacked the thread. End it now, and focus on Bigkrieg's post.

My apoligies.
    As you can see from the post I posted before yours and others in thread that is what I was trying to do.

I will go back and edit my comments.
    Again my apologies for immature behaviour
  19. REPOST

Really in the scheme of things I wouldnt get too crazy spending money on the system
    Stay with your current power supply and go with a HD 4550 or HD4650 both are under $50 USD
    They can handle low to medium settings on most of the newer games and will work with your current Power Supply
    Then save up for a better system in the future
  20. @ dadiggle and King SMP

As aford10 has already told you two;

Quote:
    Both of you need to stop. Both of you have stepped out of line, and hijacked the thread. End it now, and focus on Bigkrieg's post.

Now I'm telling you PMing moderators when both of you are in the wrong is not a good idea, you two go your separate ways and just cool it.

@ The OP

Hopefully you've gotten your question resolved by now, if not post another I'm closing this thread to avoid taking further action.

Ryan
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Graphics Cards Dell Product