Solved

Installing new SSD on old MSI motherboard

I'm looking on installing a Samsung 840 SSD on my X58 Pro (MS-7522) MSI motherboard. It's a couple years old. Could there be any compatibility issues?
15 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about installing motherboard
  1. Hello.... as long as you have a open SATA port and SATA power connection... it will work in IDE or ACHI modes.
  2. There shouldn't be any problem as long as what IronSounds said and also make sure the sata is 6Gb/s on the motherboard to get full performance otherwise you'll be complaining that it's slow like few people who know nothing about 6Gb/s and 3Gb/s or the differences in Sata2 and Sata3.
  3. Well the board is old enough that I would be running it on SATAII 3gb/s connection. Is it still worth it, or should I not bother with an SSD in this case?
  4. Hello... By all means!!! BOTHER!!!... you will LOVE the computer responsiveness... it is the next logical Hardware upgrade for you...

But running at a Full capicity is not recomended... So get a larger one for your needed.
  5. OsoPerezoso said:
    Well the board is old enough that I would be running it on SATAII 3gb/s connection. Is it still worth it, or should I not bother with an SSD in this case?

I'd recommend getting a SATA2 or 3Gb/s SSD with 120GB at least(60GB minimum)... these 3Gb/s still offers 100~200Mb/s which is outstanding compare to HDD, beside an SSD will out perform a HDD... right now SSD are very well at a low price which I'd recommend buying right now.. Just find a SATA 2 or if you plan on getting a board with SATA 3 port than get a SATA 3 SSD for now and upgrade later
  6. Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice! I'll probably spring for the 256GB Samsung SSD.
  7. Hi Oso

I am in a similar situation. My MB is an old x58 with SATA 3GB support. Perhaps you would be kind enough to tell us about your progress as I have just received my new Samsung 840 pro 256 GB and hopefully I will do some work over the week end.

Thanks
  8. I wish I could sahibabboud! My install won't happen for a few weeks. MY SSD just got ordered last night. Maybe you can tell me how your install goes?
  9. sahibabboud said:
    Hi Oso

I am in a similar situation. My MB is an old x58 with SATA 3GB support. Perhaps you would be kind enough to tell us about your progress as I have just received my new Samsung 840 pro 256 GB and hopefully I will do some work over the week end.

Thanks

It's 3Gb/s not 3GB/s - GB=Gigabytes Gb=Gigabits
    Your SSD will work fine but the performance is half or at the limit of 200-300MB/s which SATA 2(3Gb/s) offers..
  10. Oso:
    I will update you once I have done it.

Legendkiller:

Thanks for the correction.

Now in my BIOS the SATA controller options are ATA and RAID only (no AHCI), and it has been set to ATA.

I have read conflicting advice about RAID: does it really offer any improvement over ATA?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks
  11. sahibabboud said:
    Oso:
    I will update you once I have done it.

Legendkiller:

Thanks for the correction.

Now in my BIOS the SATA controller options are ATA and RAID only (no AHCI), and it has been set to ATA.

I have read conflicting advice about RAID: does it really offer any improvement over ATA?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks

RAID are a different story where you put two HDD/SSD or more into one platform or combine them for better performance or safer storage... RAID 0 is the way to go for the best performance but at a cause of more chances of failing... ATA is just like a single SSD/HDD working by itself so it'll identify itself being single(Shows multiple HDD/SSD if you have them)... You cant do RAID without any other extra HDD/SSD also they need to be same manufacturer and same RPM for it to RAID...
  12. Best answer
    OsoPerezoso said:
    I wish I could sahibabboud! My install won't happen for a few weeks. MY SSD just got ordered last night. Maybe you can tell me how your install goes?

I am pleased to report that my Samsung 840 pro 250 was installed smoothly and I have to say that although my MB supported only SATA 2 my PC now is very fast: cold boots in about 35 seconds, all the programs load faster and even WIN 7 shuts down very fast.

1 - I disconnected my power and data cable from my old C drive and using the same cables I connected my new SSD [so I don't need to bother about which SATA port to use]

2 - I run Windows 7 installation disk and it immediately recognized my SSD and it installed in about 35 minutes.

3 - Later on I reconnected my old C drive to an available SATA port and reformatted it so all of previous Windows files were gone.

I think I should have updated my PC with an SSD long time ago!
  13. sahibabboud said:
    I am pleased to report that my Samsung 840 pro 250 was installed smoothly and I have to say that although my MB supported only SATA 2 my PC now is very fast: cold boots in about 35 seconds, all the programs load faster and even WIN 7 shuts down very fast.

1 - I disconnected my power and data cable from my old C drive and using the same cables I connected my new SSD [so I don't need to bother about which SATA port to use]

2 - I run Windows 7 installation disk and it immediately recognized my SSD and it installed in about 35 minutes.

3 - Later on I reconnected my old C drive to an available SATA port and reformatted it so all of previous Windows files were gone.

The future of SSD will be 1GB/s so right now your SSD offers 500MB/s but the max for your MoBo offers 300MB/s... Many 1GB/s SSD is PCIe 1x but in future they will be in SATA mode which is awesome lol...
  14. Best answer selected by OsoPerezoso.
  15. sahibabboud said:

I'm glad to hear you're install went well! I'll be doing mine shortly.
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Motherboards Storage MSI-Microstar