Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Installing new SSD on old MSI motherboard

Last response: in Storage
Share
January 6, 2013 9:15:55 PM

I'm looking on installing a Samsung 840 SSD on my X58 Pro (MS-7522) MSI motherboard. It's a couple years old. Could there be any compatibility issues?
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
January 6, 2013 9:21:02 PM

Hello.... as long as you have a open SATA port and SATA power connection... it will work in IDE or ACHI modes.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
January 6, 2013 9:24:30 PM

There shouldn't be any problem as long as what IronSounds said and also make sure the sata is 6Gb/s on the motherboard to get full performance otherwise you'll be complaining that it's slow like few people who know nothing about 6Gb/s and 3Gb/s or the differences in Sata2 and Sata3.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 6, 2013 10:42:37 PM

Well the board is old enough that I would be running it on SATAII 3gb/s connection. Is it still worth it, or should I not bother with an SSD in this case?
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
January 6, 2013 11:05:09 PM

Hello... By all means!!! BOTHER!!!... you will LOVE the computer responsiveness... it is the next logical Hardware upgrade for you...

But running at a Full capicity is not recomended... So get a larger one for your needed.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
January 6, 2013 11:12:52 PM

OsoPerezoso said:
Well the board is old enough that I would be running it on SATAII 3gb/s connection. Is it still worth it, or should I not bother with an SSD in this case?

I'd recommend getting a SATA2 or 3Gb/s SSD with 120GB at least(60GB minimum)... these 3Gb/s still offers 100~200Mb/s which is outstanding compare to HDD, beside an SSD will out perform a HDD... right now SSD are very well at a low price which I'd recommend buying right now.. Just find a SATA 2 or if you plan on getting a board with SATA 3 port than get a SATA 3 SSD for now and upgrade later
m
0
l
January 6, 2013 11:32:30 PM

Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice! I'll probably spring for the 256GB Samsung SSD.
m
0
l
January 7, 2013 7:41:22 PM

Hi Oso

I am in a similar situation. My MB is an old x58 with SATA 3GB support. Perhaps you would be kind enough to tell us about your progress as I have just received my new Samsung 840 pro 256 GB and hopefully I will do some work over the week end.

Thanks
m
0
l
January 7, 2013 10:49:18 PM

I wish I could sahibabboud! My install won't happen for a few weeks. MY SSD just got ordered last night. Maybe you can tell me how your install goes?
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
January 8, 2013 5:55:19 PM

sahibabboud said:
Hi Oso

I am in a similar situation. My MB is an old x58 with SATA 3GB support. Perhaps you would be kind enough to tell us about your progress as I have just received my new Samsung 840 pro 256 GB and hopefully I will do some work over the week end.

Thanks

It's 3Gb/s not 3GB/s - GB=Gigabytes Gb=Gigabits
Your SSD will work fine but the performance is half or at the limit of 200-300MB/s which SATA 2(3Gb/s) offers..
m
0
l
January 9, 2013 10:27:04 AM

Oso:
I will update you once I have done it.

Legendkiller:

Thanks for the correction.

Now in my BIOS the SATA controller options are ATA and RAID only (no AHCI), and it has been set to ATA.

I have read conflicting advice about RAID: does it really offer any improvement over ATA?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
January 9, 2013 12:29:25 PM

sahibabboud said:
Oso:
I will update you once I have done it.

Legendkiller:

Thanks for the correction.

Now in my BIOS the SATA controller options are ATA and RAID only (no AHCI), and it has been set to ATA.

I have read conflicting advice about RAID: does it really offer any improvement over ATA?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks

RAID are a different story where you put two HDD/SSD or more into one platform or combine them for better performance or safer storage... RAID 0 is the way to go for the best performance but at a cause of more chances of failing... ATA is just like a single SSD/HDD working by itself so it'll identify itself being single(Shows multiple HDD/SSD if you have them)... You cant do RAID without any other extra HDD/SSD also they need to be same manufacturer and same RPM for it to RAID...
m
0
l

Best solution

January 12, 2013 1:35:15 PM

OsoPerezoso said:
I wish I could sahibabboud! My install won't happen for a few weeks. MY SSD just got ordered last night. Maybe you can tell me how your install goes?



I am pleased to report that my Samsung 840 pro 250 was installed smoothly and I have to say that although my MB supported only SATA 2 my PC now is very fast: cold boots in about 35 seconds, all the programs load faster and even WIN 7 shuts down very fast.

1 - I disconnected my power and data cable from my old C drive and using the same cables I connected my new SSD [so I don't need to bother about which SATA port to use]

2 - I run Windows 7 installation disk and it immediately recognized my SSD and it installed in about 35 minutes.

3 - Later on I reconnected my old C drive to an available SATA port and reformatted it so all of previous Windows files were gone.

I think I should have updated my PC with an SSD long time ago!

Share
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
January 15, 2013 11:15:56 AM

sahibabboud said:
I am pleased to report that my Samsung 840 pro 250 was installed smoothly and I have to say that although my MB supported only SATA 2 my PC now is very fast: cold boots in about 35 seconds, all the programs load faster and even WIN 7 shuts down very fast.

1 - I disconnected my power and data cable from my old C drive and using the same cables I connected my new SSD [so I don't need to bother about which SATA port to use]

2 - I run Windows 7 installation disk and it immediately recognized my SSD and it installed in about 35 minutes.

3 - Later on I reconnected my old C drive to an available SATA port and reformatted it so all of previous Windows files were gone.

I think I should have updated my PC with an SSD long time ago!

The future of SSD will be 1GB/s so right now your SSD offers 500MB/s but the max for your MoBo offers 300MB/s... Many 1GB/s SSD is PCIe 1x but in future they will be in SATA mode which is awesome lol...
m
0
l
January 15, 2013 3:11:41 PM

Best answer selected by OsoPerezoso.
m
0
l
January 15, 2013 3:12:17 PM

sahibabboud said:
I am pleased to report that my Samsung 840 pro 250 was installed smoothly and I have to say that although my MB supported only SATA 2 my PC now is very fast: cold boots in about 35 seconds, all the programs load faster and even WIN 7 shuts down very fast.

1 - I disconnected my power and data cable from my old C drive and using the same cables I connected my new SSD [so I don't need to bother about which SATA port to use]

2 - I run Windows 7 installation disk and it immediately recognized my SSD and it installed in about 35 minutes.

3 - Later on I reconnected my old C drive to an available SATA port and reformatted it so all of previous Windows files were gone.

I think I should have updated my PC with an SSD long time ago!


I'm glad to hear you're install went well! I'll be doing mine shortly.
m
0
l
!