Gaming/Animation/Video Editing System Plan

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
September 28, 2010 1:56:42 AM

Hey guys,

Im planning my next system since I gave my old one to my mom when I left to join the Army.
Its now very old but serves her puproses well.

So here is my current plan for my new system, it will be used for Hardcore Gaming, heavy 3D Animation and video editing for my University course 'Computer Animation and Multimedia Design.
Im aiming to build the BESt system I can for my budget which is about £2000 and overclocking is not something I wish to get into at this time.

Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz (Bloomfield) (Socket LGA1366)

CoolIT Vantage Liquid CPU Cooler

Asus P6X58D-E Intel X58 (Socket 1366) DDR3 Motherboard

Corsair Dominator GT 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 16000C8 2000MHz Triple Channel Kit

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460 OC 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card x2 in SLI

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium - Fatal1ty Champion Series 7.1 Sound Card

Coolermaster Storm Scout Gaming Case

OCZ ModXStream Pro 700w Silent SLI Certified Modular Power Supply

Crucial RealSSD C300 128GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Hard Drive (for OS and Application usage)

Western Digital Caviar Blue 160GB SATA-II 8MB Cache x2 in RAID 0 (As a scratch disk for downloads etc)

I already have a couple of 1TB external HDD's for storage.

Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit

Does this system sound ok? No real bottlenecks?

As far as im aware, everything here is perfectly compatable with each other, but just incase I missed something does that look ok?

Cheers guys,

Roscoe

More about : gaming animation video editing system plan

September 28, 2010 2:15:41 AM

If those external 1TB are connected via USB they won't perform well. Those raid hard drives fail in comparison to a single Samsung F3. You don't really need a soundcard, and the ram looks mediocre compared to the 1.5 volt G.skill PI series.
Anonymous
September 28, 2010 3:08:25 AM

Thanks for the reply!

The external drives are purely for storage of large files that I dont use often, im not expecting them to perform lightning fast. So thats ok.

Taken you advice on the HDD's, did some quick searching and actually found the Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB SATA-II 16MB Cache to be the exact same price, so added 2 of them to the shopping list, again for a RAID config.

I really do need a soundcard, Im a total audiophile and I want premium quality sound for my games, movies and my music and this is something to this day I have been unable to find in an onboard system. Onboards also need extra CPU cycles to process which to me seems a shame when you get get premium dedicated cards for quite cheap these days.

As for the memory, could be a little more specific?... im struggling to find a 6GB Triple Channel Kit @ 2000Mhz with 8-9-8-24 timings or better from G.Skill without doubling the price....

Thanks again for the input!

D
Anonymous
September 28, 2010 5:49:10 AM

Anyone else have any comments?
September 28, 2010 9:50:09 AM

Well, how are you speakers connected? If it's through anything less than optical to an external DAC/reciever then spend the money there first. A soundcard and integrated's digital output will be the same.

That said, if you have a high-end analog speaker setup but not receiver, a sound card can be worth it. I actually use a soundcard with analog output on one of my other systems, and there is slight difference between it and my AC'97 integrated. The CPU cycles used aren't worth crying over on a current architecture.

Issue is that DDR3 past 1600 is fractions of a percent faster in the majority of applications. 1600 is a good speed for overclocking in terms of multipliers. A G.skill kit at 1600 with lower CAS will outperform that 2000MHZ kit, and run at a more friendly 1.5 volts.
Anonymous
September 28, 2010 12:39:37 PM

Thank you again for the response.

The memory is something that is, in all honesty, starting to confuse me.
Please dot think I was defending corsair in any way in my last reply, im mearly trying to get the best possible ram for a reasonable price since the RAM shall play a very important part in my Animation/Video Editing usage.

Can someone explain the speed vs timings dilemma?

The Corsair is rated at 8-9-8-24 @ 2000mhz
I have just read that I can force this to 6-6-6-15 @ 1600mhz
or
8-8-8-24 @2160mhz

which is better and why? what specific memory, if any, can beat this without increasing the price too much?

Also the corsair supports XMP which is nice for when I want to get into overclocking in a big way. And if this ASUS TurboV utitlity is as good as it says it is, that may be quite quickly.

I need help here folks! :-( All very confusing.
September 28, 2010 8:29:50 PM

Are those what people have overclocked to?

RAM isn't all that important in terms of performance. The difference from 1600 to 2000mhz in non-synthetics is minimal. I would grab a good quality, low (1.5 volt or lower), 1600mhz kit with Cas9 or lower (good specs for CPU overclocking) and save the cash you would spend on those Corsair.
September 28, 2010 8:39:55 PM

I am curious how much better is the CoolIT water cooler system compared to a high quality air cooler?
Anonymous
September 28, 2010 8:57:35 PM

Sniper, from the research ive done into the Vantage it performs better than MOST air coolers... there was only one air cooler I found that was better and it was HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE!.... cant remember the name of it, but it was a BEAST!

When I get this system built I'll post all my Bench results and Temps.
Anonymous
September 28, 2010 9:01:25 PM

Just looked it up... the air cooler im talking about is the Noctua NH D14.
September 28, 2010 9:01:53 PM

Quote:

I really do need a soundcard, Im a total audiophile and I want premium quality sound for my games, movies and my music and this is something to this day I have been unable to find in an onboard system. Onboards also need extra CPU cycles to process which to me seems a shame when you get get premium dedicated cards for quite cheap these days.

If you're only running stereo audio, an Optical connection to an external DAC is probably the cheapest best solution, and an onboard chip will be identical to a discrete card. If you're running 5.1/7.1 then analog from your PC makes more sense if HDMI isn't available. In terms of discrete cards vs the onboard of modern high end motherboards, the onboard will have a noise floor only a few dB above what is frequently considered perfectly quiet. This means you'd have to turn your amp virtually all the way up to be able to hear the difference. That onboard chip will also have a higher THD than the discrete card, but will still be much less than 1%. No common amps have a less than 1% THD at their upper volumes, which will dwarf anything done by the sound chip.

tl;dr: your amp is much worse than your onboard sound chip on a High end motherboard, so don't waste money buying something to replace something that's bottlenecked by something else.
!