Your question

SSD but want to store on hdd

Tags:
  • SSD
  • Hard Drives
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
January 7, 2013 1:14:15 AM

Hi, I just finished building my first computer and I have a 128gb SSD and a 1tb HDD in it. I installed windows 7 on the ssd but then i wanted to download steams and my game on the HDD. I cant find out how to store my games on the hdd instead of the ssd. Steam and every games I have installed are going in the ssd, I'm almost out of place on it already.

Can anyone please explain or post a link to a guide on how I could install my stuff to my HDD instead of everything going onto my ssd, it would be appreciated, thanks.

More about : ssd store hdd

a c 330 G Storage
January 7, 2013 1:23:37 AM

Just change the place that programs are saved by opening the registry editor -- type regedit in the start button search box and select the program. Then navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion the change the key ProgramFilesDir from C: Program Files to whatever the drive you want in a Program Files directory. If you are using the 64 bit version also change the ProgramFilesDir (x86) key similarly.
January 7, 2013 3:41:28 AM

Thanks everyone I'l try that out
July 21, 2013 4:28:23 AM

RealBeast said:
Just change the place that programs are saved by opening the registry editor -- type regedit in the start button search box and select the program. Then navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion the change the key ProgramFilesDir from C: Program Files to whatever the drive you want in a Program Files directory. If you are using the 64 bit version also change the ProgramFilesDir (x86) key similarly.

What about all the other data values? Several other Keys have the path on C:\ drive. Should I leave those? Also when I go in to change it can I just swap the C for a B (the name of my HDD)?
a c 330 G Storage
July 21, 2013 9:12:22 AM

Best to start a new thread rather than dredge up an old one -- you'll get more answers. Don't move any other files with key changes unless you really know what you are doing and even then have a good back up available to restore your files.
!