Sign in with
Your question

AMD buldozer gaming build on Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7

Last response: in Motherboards
August 20, 2011 9:04:25 AM

Hi everyone,

I'k just new here and this is my first post. Pls pardon me if am in the wrong place to post my question.

Am just getting a new GB mobo and the following components. Please, i do appreciate your valued response with regards to the compatibility if the RAM's with this mobo. Am planning to buy AMD buldozer 8150fx and so this mobo with GB 6950 video card and the RAM's. Also, please advise on the capacity of the power supply, CPU coolers, fans etc and any and any important things that i should be looking for on this build. I am an Intel fan but thought of switching to AMD for my mid range gaming rig. :)  no plans for xfire or sli right now but may be in the future.

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD7 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard - 249.99$

G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-12GBSR - 89.99 $

GIGABYTE GV-R695OC-1GD Radeon HD 6950 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - 239.99$

If am on the wrong thread, please direct me to the correct forum.

Many thanks,
CA
a b V Motherboard
August 20, 2011 12:56:47 PM

The Bulldozer desktop CPUs use DUAL CHANNEL 1866 Mhz. RAM so you should pick the correct RAM speed. For Dual Channel you can use 2 x 4 Gb or 4 x 4 Gb but not 3 x 4 Gb. There are many good heatsink coolers like the Coolermaster hyper 212+ depending on what you want to pay. Check out the Top Five AMD coolers or the Quietest Coolers at the Frosty Tech link below. A quality 650W PSU from Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling or similar will work well.

http://www.frostytech.com/
m
l
August 20, 2011 1:28:57 PM

hi beenthere,

thanks a lot for your advise.

how do you think the GigaByte 6950 fits into this build ? i could only afford this price range for a video. Is there anything better ? is it advisable to pick a nvidia product but again this is a AMD build ? :) 

thanks again
CA
m
l
Related resources
a c 160 V Motherboard
August 21, 2011 3:50:59 AM

NVidia should work nicely for you with that board. You might compare some GTX 560's. I think they are around the same price range. Or maybe a 470. Here's Tom's Graphics Card Hierarchy chart:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/message.php?config=to...

And I agree with beenthere, about the memory. Use 2 or 4 sticks for dual channel.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 21, 2011 4:27:49 AM

The 6950 is a great card. A Nvidia will also work but I think you'll find the performance very similar for the same price range.
m
l
August 27, 2011 7:12:01 PM

spooky2th said:
NVidia should work nicely for you with that board. You might compare some GTX 560's. I think they are around the same price range. Or maybe a 470. Here's Tom's Graphics Card Hierarchy chart:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/message.php?config=to...

And I agree with beenthere, about the memory. Use 2 or 4 sticks for dual channel.

Thanks spooky2th.

i'm bit of confused again, either to go with AMD or to go with i72600K with nvidia. Not sure how AMD support other apps like adobe, office suit, AV conversions etc etc. i have second thoughts of going for a ASUS P8Z68 DELUXE or GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 (rev. 1.0) with the above processor. Am not into hardcore gaming and to play with OC gimmicks but yes like to play crysis 2 with its highest level of performance and quality as and when i need to. my current config is C2D e7500 on intel GD43GT, NVIDIA GT430 and is fairly good on gaming with default specs.

Is it worth enough waiting for buldozer 8 cores for a lesser price or to go with intel i72600k ? anyways will not wait for the IVB on socket 2011 series, but need to make a decision between AM3+ buldoser 8150 fx and z68/1155 based SB intel processors..

any valued inputs are highly appreciated..

CA

m
l
August 27, 2011 7:18:36 PM

beenthere said:
The 6950 is a great card. A Nvidia will also work but I think you'll find the performance very similar for the same price range.

Thanks beenthere. do you also have inputs for the post that i made to spooky2th today ? am totally an intel person and this is the first time thinking of AMD. any other useful thoughts before making a decision ?

CA
m
l
a c 160 V Motherboard
September 7, 2011 6:06:47 PM

If you are into playing games like Crysis, you need to get a good graphics card (or two.) And the apps (any apps) will be compatible or not depending on your operating system. Both Intel and AMD are over clockable if you get a black edition CPU with AMD or a K series intel CPU.
m
l
!