Intel Smart Response, 128GB SSD System, 500GBHDDLess Frequent program?

elcid79

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
So I have a GA-Z77X-UD5H version 1.1, it has a mSATA port integrated onto the mainboard.

128GB SSD (System Partition.)
2TB HDD - divided 500GB ~ Less frequented programs, 1.5TB - Data
300 GB HDD - From old PC, as just a backup at the moment.

What I was wondering, If i were to buy this crucial CT032M4SSD3 32GB mSATA SSD and put it on the mainboard, and enable intel Smart Response on my mainboard, would I be able to program it to ONLY cache data from the 500GB less frequent program drive? Would this be beneficial? Or is that not possible / would I be spinning my wheels. The other option is Crucial's Cache setup, would it work with that?

Thank you all soo much!

The purpose of Intel SRT is to give "SSD-like" performance to a HDD with an O/S installed on it. It's basically for people who can't afford a large capacity (120GB and up) SSD to install their O/S, programs, & games.

So if you're going to use your 128GB SSD as your O/S drive then no, you can't use Intel SRT to cache your HDD.

You'll have to do some research but I'm pretty sure that Crucial's cache only works on O/S drives as well.

So save your money and don't purchase the mSATA SSD.

elcid79

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Dereck you are correct about crucial adrenaline. I found it in the product manual. But as k114 was showing, it appears that you can Cache any volume that you wish with ISRT...... I would really be interested in seeing some performance numbers on a setup like this.