Old CPU and PS, + new budget card = ?

Hello,
I have an old PC running on a P4 540J at 3.20GHz with a 300w PS.
It has an old Radeon X300 and I was wondering if it would be worth it all to upgrade the graphics card? It's hooked up to a monitor with a max res of 1280x1024.

Max budget is $200.
I would like to play some newish games with at least medium settings. Is this possible, or am I way too limited by CPU?

Thanks for the help!
5 answers Last reply
More about budget card
  1. well im using a HD5570 on a 250w psu. ur pc is old but it might work. it plays most games at medium/high. im currently playing through bad company 2 at medium settings at 1280x1024.
  2. Any card today will be bottlenecked by your Pent.4.
    I would say save your money and build a whole new system... :)
  3. infernox_01 said:
    well im using a HD5570 on a 250w psu. ur pc is old but it might work. it plays most games at medium/high. im currently playing through bad company 2 at medium settings at 1280x1024.

You can do this to get by if you need a card now and can't wait.

Other wise save that 200 and put it towards a new computer, you can make a pretty nice computer for 400 dollars, I just built my friend one for 360 with a bunch of combo deals and mail in rebates.
  4. Your P4 540J is a single core CPU. I wouldn't bother getting any card for it. A total upgrade is needed. You can't run todays high end games on a single core.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards CPUs Graphics