Sign in with
Your question

How to access external hard disk when it is not detecting

Last response: in Storage
January 7, 2013 4:37:22 AM

Hello,
i have WD external hard disk which fell down while using and since then its not been detetected in any computer or laptop, i tried to use it as slave drive to get the data, but there also it shows as unallocated space
please advise as how to retrieve dat
a c 79 G Storage
January 7, 2013 5:29:52 AM

It sounds like the drive has failed, in which case there is no way to access the data at home. You need to take or send the drive to a professional data-recovery service.

It is likely that some of the data will be corrupted anyway, that's why keeping backup copies on a different drive is so important.
m
l
a b G Storage
January 7, 2013 9:30:39 AM

Put the HDD (the actual 3.5" silver/black Hard Disk Drive, not the PC unit) wrapped in about 14 sheets of newspaper within a series of plastic bag (three layers deep) and put it in your freezer for 4 to 8 hours.

When it thaws out the actuators and drive heads will probably start moving freely again.

You shouldn't loose a huge amount of data either.

- Not this is not a joke!

Then use TestDisk to recover your data: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
m
l
January 10, 2013 4:27:21 AM

Activate this disk again by assigning a new letter in "Disk Management" or formatting it.
Since, you want to retrieve your data inside it, you could apply a hard drive recovery freeware that has helped me recover my photos, videos and files from my inaccessible drive. It is worth trying.
Note for you:
1. Do not store any new data on the same drive to avoid original data overwritten by new data, which can make your data gone forever.
2. Do not save the recovered data on the same drive, which can cause recovery failure.
3. Do not forget to back up your important data regularly in the future.
m
l
!