Sign in with
Your question

AMD cpu's

Last response: in CPUs
December 24, 2010 3:29:43 PM

Why do AMD cpu's run so damn hot, I took my brothers AMD Dell rig apart and the HSF was gigantic!

More about : amd cpu

a c 190 à CPUs
a b À AMD
December 24, 2010 3:35:56 PM

There is a different from running hot and having a big heatsink. It has a big heat sink because it can use a fair amount of power, but there are intel CPUs that will use just as much power, the big heat sink helps keep the temps down so they dont run super hot.

Which AMD CPU does he have? Their heat sinks have changed a couple of times. Personally, i dont care if their heatsinks are bigger than intels, there are no stupid push pins that can pop out.
m
l
December 24, 2010 3:41:14 PM

Sounds like I struck an AMD nerve, hunter 315. Happy Holidays to you, anyway.
m
l
Related resources
a c 108 à CPUs
a b À AMD
December 24, 2010 5:19:30 PM

I suspect 'double_d' doesn't stand for 'Doctor of Deduction'
m
l
December 25, 2010 4:59:50 AM

I can see where wisecracker came from, those chips have been known to run hot from day 1. All I wanted was a straight and knowledgeable answer. I maybe fairly new to computers, but not to electronics. Still waiting for a well informed reply. I don't rate myself high in tech knowledge because that leaves no room for the real geniuses ( scientists and engineers ) My friends from college think I got a lot out of my Associates degree back when most things were of an analog nature. Age and poor health prevented me from keeping up with the real youngsters, never to old or smart to learn more.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 25, 2010 11:34:45 AM

What CPU was it? Older AMD CPU's, as in Phenom I, run quite hot. Then again, intel has also had some hot generations. Either way, neither of their heatsinks has ever been "big" compared to aftermarket cooling, so are you sure it is a stock heatsink? Do you know if it is overclocked? Do you know exactly where the temperatures are at? Big heat sinks dont always mean hotter CPU's if thats all you are basing this from.
m
l
a c 108 à CPUs
a b À AMD
December 25, 2010 2:59:20 PM

rolli59 said:
Two totally different CPU's but the "Thermal Design Power" is what determines the size of the heat sink!
AMD CPU TDP 45watts http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... runs cool
Intel CPU TDP 130watts http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... runs hot

I imagine Intel has an energy-efficient quad - though hard to top my $80 AMD Phenom II x4 B50 at 1.8v (load 127w at the wall).

At idle (0.83v) the fan will shut off

Sleeps at 2w - wakes in seconds

edit: I fergit .... what was the OP saying, again ??

:lol: 
m
l
December 27, 2010 2:34:03 PM

double_d1 said:
Why do AMD cpu's run so damn hot, I took my brothers AMD Dell rig apart and the HSF was gigantic!

What were the temperatures?

Heat is measured in degrees, not inches.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 27, 2010 2:59:36 PM

differing cpu architecture creates different levels of heat.heat is often compared to the level of transistors working on one particular cpu.correct me if i am wrong
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 27, 2010 3:27:01 PM

troll posts are fun >_<

but srsly intel and amd chips both run hot compared to say a sony walkman, but hey they are alo tmore usefull... by comparison both intel and amd chips run much colder than the core of the earth so its all relative >_>
m
l
a c 190 à CPUs
a b À AMD
December 27, 2010 3:39:04 PM

If you say a CPU runs hot without specifying what heatsink is on it, its a meaningless statement. The temperature is 100% related to the heatsink, not the type or brand of CPU under it. One CPU may produce more heat than another but thats not the same as running hot. Two CPUs with the same heatsink, the one that generates more heat will run hotter, but if they have different heatsinks its not a fair comparison as the performance of the heatsinks has a much bigger effect than the power consumption of the chip. So either refer to heat output, or temperature while using a certain heatsink, but not that one chip runs "hot" because thats meaningless and changes greatly between environments.

Also, the size of a heatsink isnt the most important thing, the surface area is. If i have a large block of copper it wont be nearly as effective at keeping a CPU cool as if i have a small block of copper with a few hundred thin fins in it. So broad generalizations like that dadiggle just make you look silly.
m
l
!