Missing admin account

After I last booted there is no longer an "Administrator" login choice. The
Administrator account also does not show on the "User Accounts" screen
accessed from control panel. It does show under Administrative Tools. I am
now logged in as another user with administrative rights, but need to log
back in as Administrator since I do most of my work under the Administrator
account. How do I get the Admin login back?

Warren
3 answers Last reply
More about missing admin account

    Go to http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/ and download the boot
    disk, this will enable you to reset any system password on an NT class
    operating system.

    The Administrator account may be disabled, the above disk will allow
    you to reenable the account.

    You should use the Administrator as a last resort. Make a new account
    for your self and give it administrator privaliges (or change your
    normal account to one with administrator privaliges)

    On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 17:56:14 -0700, Warren wrote:

    > After I last booted there is no longer an "Administrator" login choice. The
    > Administrator account also does not show on the "User Accounts" screen
    > accessed from control panel. It does show under Administrative Tools. I am
    > now logged in as another user with administrative rights, but need to log
    > back in as Administrator since I do most of my work under the Administrator
    > account. How do I get the Admin login back?
    >
    > Warren

    This is normal behavior for the system created account named Administrator.
    It is designed to disappear once another account in the administrator group
    is created. Most folks use this account as a "backup account" for
    troubleshooting because of this behavior and create another account in the
    administrator group for everyday administering tasks.

    You can log on to the original Administrator account from the Welcome
    screen by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del twice. The Win2000 style logon screen will
    appear. Type Administrator in user name and type password to log on.

    You're going to have to make a choice from here... Either transfer your
    data over to a new account in the Administrator group. Use the alternative
    logon method for the existing account. Or use TweakUI for XP to force the
    Administrator account back onto the welcome screen.

    TweakUI for XP is one of the power toys that can be found here:
    Read the system requirements carefully - especially recommended service
    pack level.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Warren wrote:
    > After I last booted there is no longer an "Administrator"
    > login choice. The Administrator account also does not show
    > on the "User Accounts" screen accessed from control panel.
    > It does show under Administrative Tools. I am now logged in
    > as another user with administrative rights, but need to log
    > back in as Administrator since I do most of my work under
    > the Administrator account. How do I get the Admin login
    > back?
    >
    > Warren

    To log on with the built-in Administrator account:
    Log off from your new account.
    Hit Ctrl + Alt + Del twice at the Welcome screen.
    Enter Administrator in the "Logon to Windows" dialog box.

    FYI, once you create a user account that is a computer
    administrator
    the built-in Administrator account will no longer be displayed
    on the Welcome screen. In order to restore access, you might
    want to take a look at this article:

    How to login as Administrator in Windows XP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/admins.htm

    You can also download the script on the right hand side of line
    5 from this page to accomplish the same results:

    Enable/Disable Administrator on Welcome Screen

    The built-in Administrator account should only be used in an
    emergency or if all the other accounts on the computer are
    limited accounts. You might want to consider copying the
    Administrator account files over to your new account. Take a
    look at these articles for more info:

    How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

    Copy User Profiles in Windows XP
    http://www.petri.co.il/copy_user_profiles_in_windows_xp.htm

    You'll also need to import email info. Here's how if you're
    using Outlook Express as your email client:

    OLEXP: Mail Folders, Address Book, and E-mail Messages Are
    Missing After You Upgrade to Microsoft Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313055/

    Nepatsfan

Configuration Login Windows XP