Need a new graphics card

aw09

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
Hi im going to buy a new graphics card for my computer i don't want anything extravagant.

Im looking for something that has about 256MB.

Sadly im limited to PCI-E or even if possible PCI.

My computer specs:

AMD Athlong 64 (2.2Ghz)
2GB RAM DDR (512x4)
300 Watt PSU
250GB HDD

Im pretty limited to what i can have so the price wouldn't be that much of a problem.

I cant think of any more details i could give but if you can think of any ill be happy to help.

Thanks for any advice.

aw09

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
Not sure on the Mobo my girlfriend gave the computer to me after she bought a laptop. The computer is a Packard bell made about 2004.

Alright. I'm finding very little info on your computer/motherboard online. It seems Packard Bell has removed all info about the product from their site as far as I can tell. What I have found out is that you have a Orion MS-7168 motherboard but I can't find the specifications of that board. What you should do is download CPU-Z;
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
On the mainboard tab it should tell you your Graphic interface so we can know what kind of cards your board can handle. I believe it actually has a PCI-E x16 slot which is good but there's no concrete info confirming that.

aw09

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
Yep it is PCI-E x16 i did get an ATI x600pro just for lite gaming but the card failed to send a signal to the monitor. So now to avoid anymore messups im going to find out what card would be the best to use ill have a check now to see what Mobo i have.

Well it was the slot that matter in regards to what card you can use. The problem with your system is actually the processor which is quite poor by today's standards. The best card you should really consider is this one;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102843
It is several times faster than the X600 Pro you mentioned and adequate for current games at low resolutions(1280x1024 and below) although your processor will hold the card back from achieving its full potential in a lot of games.

aw09

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010

I sent the x600 back i tried everything i could from upping my wattage from 250 to 300 to clearing my CMOS along side with changing the bio's and nothing worked. I came to the conclusion that the card had died.

aw09

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010

The card seems nice but im only limited to a 300watt PSU would it still work alongside everything els that is going?