Grpahics card to choose

yettyman

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Hello all,
First time posting here, I hope I did it in a satisfactory way.
Thanks in advance for the help.

The cards that I was looking at are the:
1Gb Ati Radeon HD 5770http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102898

768Mb Geforce GTX 460http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127511

Any suggestions for other cards will be accepted too. I know that I have a wide range but I want to make sure I get the best to go with my system.

Price range: 150- 250$

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: I plan on purchasing the card within the next month or to depending on what changes in the market

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: This will be used for gaming and will play like starcraft 2, dirt 2, dirt 3 when it comes, out and a variety of fps.
I also watch hd movies and videos from time to time.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: I currently have an ati radeon 4650 and a 350w power supply(I'm not sure of the brand because it came with my custom hp pavillion elite. ( I know I need a better power supply and I am confident in my ability to decide that on my own.)

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: My processor is a Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 @ 2.66ghz and 4gb ddr3 ram.

My mother board seems to be a weird brand:
Manufacturer's motherboard name: Pegatron IPIEL-LA3
HP/Compaq name: Eureka3-GL8
(The only information that I could find was on the hp site:http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=4003099#N1011)

Windows 7

My case is the pavillion elite case which is a mid-tower.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS:I was planning on either buying from newegg or amazon. COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: United States

PARTS PREFERENCES: Since I currently have an ati I figure it would be easier to keep with that company but I am open to Nvidia and I don't know enough about the manufacturers to have an opinion.

OVERCLOCKING: I would like it to have it's own overclocking software that is easy to use because I am still trying to learn about the benefits and risks of it.
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: In the future I would eventually like to run dual graphics cards with the one that is suggested so I can still get use out of it even when it is outdated.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Current resolution is 1366x768. I'm not planning on getting a higher resolution monitor for a couple of years at least. However I would like a card that could handle higher resolutions so I can keep it for a while.
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I use an HDtv as a secondary display which runs at the same resolution as my monitor but it is not that important.

Bottlenecking is a concern for me because I will not upgrade my cpu for a while so I don't want a card that won't work to its fullest potential.

I am also wondering if my gpu is the first thing that I should uprade or if I should get a new motherboard, cpu, or both.

yettyman

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Yeah I know it will be outdated, I just meant I want a card that could play most of the games that come out at decent quality.

As for upgrading the cpu I was just hoping to get a new motherboard and just use my old hard drive, I assume that will work but I don't know that much about it. I would just need to find one that would support my current ram.

I thought about the 5750 but I am still unsure as to whether my plan to eventually crossfire the card I get (after I get an appropriate motherboard and new processor of course) to extend the life of the card I might buy soon.

yettyman

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
okay thanks for the info, I definitely did not know about issues I may have with Hp. I will probably just end up waiting until I can build a new computer in a couple of years and hope that this one lasts me long enough.

However I constantly change my mind and may end up getting a 500- 600 watt power supply and a new card, after what you told me it will most likely be a 5750.

Thanks again for the help.

yettyman

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Okay that sounds like the best solution, I could just get a new psu and the 5750 for around $200 depending on the psu of course.

I looked at the reviews for the 5750 again and the lowest res that they benchmark in is 1600x1050 and it runs all the games smoothly. So, they should be perfect at 1366x768. :D And with directx 11 most future games will rune goo too.

You added some common sense to what I was thinking about doing, thanks.