Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New build with SSD and HDD

Last response: in Storage
January 7, 2013 11:20:30 AM

Hey everyone I'm looking for a little help/suggestions on how to setup my SSD on a new build I'll be assembling within the next 2 days as this is my first build with a SSD.

I have an Agility 4 256gb SSD and a WD Black 1TB HDD.

I plan on using the SSD for Windows (8 64-bit) and select games (Skyrim, Planetside 2, ect) and the HDD for less intensive apps (League of Legends, ect) and general storage.

Now onto the real question:

Should I partition my SSD for the OS and games, or is it best to leave it as a single partition?
Will partitioning have any affect on SSD performance or longevity?
If you believe I should partition how much should I leave for the OS? 30-40GB to allow space for OS updates?

Thanks for reading.

More about : build ssd hdd

Best solution

a c 99 G Storage
January 7, 2013 11:56:05 AM

You could partition it, but I dont see any point in doing so. If you want to make it easier to organize whats on the SSD just set up a decent folder system on the inside.

Nope.

If you did partition, 30-40GB would be enough for the OS initially and I imagine after a year or two of updates. Its good to leave your OS drive/partition with some room, otherwise Windows bugs you with popup notices saying C: is running low.
January 7, 2013 2:32:41 PM

manofchalk said:
You could partition it, but I dont see any point in doing so. If you want to make it easier to organize whats on the SSD just set up a decent folder system on the inside.

Nope.

If you did partition, 30-40GB would be enough for the OS initially and I imagine after a year or two of updates. Its good to leave your OS drive/partition with some room, otherwise Windows bugs you with popup notices saying C: is running low.

I was thinking along those lines too. Thanks for the quick reply.
m
l
January 7, 2013 2:33:01 PM

Best answer selected by Levardis.
m
l
!