USB MIDI instrument works on XP but not Vista or Win7

Well I have a MIDI keyboard instrument that was working on my Win7 x64 machine, with proper drivers, and then it just stopped. I get this error message "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)". Oddly it works on an XP machine I tried, while it fails on other Win7 and Vista machines I've tried, with at least four different USB cords of lengths 3, 6 (2x), and 12 feet. Could this device have gotten damaged? If so, is there any way to have it detected in Win7, considering it works in XP still?

If anyone is wondering it's a Yamaha ez-250i keyboard instrument.

Also, I used a 12 foot usb cord. I remember reading something about USB only being designed for 6 feet or so, could this have damaged the device? Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about midi instrument works vista win7
  1. Hi cephasara,

At first I was going to suggest to make sure the drivers are the latest ones from http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/keyboards/digitalkeyboards/lighted_key_lighted_fret_instruments/ez-250i/?mode=model but it seems you got that covered. Old or incorrect drivers is usually the cause of error 43.
    What sound card do you have and what driver are you using? The best is to use Asio. It is also better to have a separate audio interface (even small interfaces such as U-CONTROL UCA202 is better because it takes the workload off the CPU.
    Were you running any intensive audio software with numerous effects or VSTs and all? If yes, the lack of powerful audio card/Ram/CPU might be the cause, or too many effects/VSTs...

Hope that helps.

PS: USB cable length shouldn't be the issue but its good you tried multiples to check that they wern't broken...
  2. gefthebest said:
    Hi cephasara,

At first I was going to suggest to make sure the drivers are the latest ones from http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/keyboards/digitalkeyboards/lighted_key_lighted_fret_instruments/ez-250i/?mode=model but it seems you got that covered. Old or incorrect drivers is usually the cause of error 43.
    What sound card do you have and what driver are you using? The best is to use Asio. It is also better to have a separate audio interface (even small interfaces such as U-CONTROL UCA202 is better because it takes the workload off the CPU.
    Were you running any intensive audio software with numerous effects or VSTs and all? If yes, the lack of powerful audio card/Ram/CPU might be the cause, or too many effects/VSTs...

Hope that helps.

PS: USB cable length shouldn't be the issue but its good you tried multiples to check that they wern't broken...

I have used it with computers with both integrated Relteck HD audio and Intel sound and it WAS working. I left the instrument on and connected to my computer for a couple hours, left the room, and when i returned windows displayed the device as unknown and with error 43. I was using ASIO4ALL, but I don't think that could have caused this problem. I was running Ableton Live, on a intel dual core P9400 2.4GHz 4GB ram system, it was using around 15% CPU when I was recording with it, with my MIDI mic recording device too. I removed everything from the computer and connected just the MIDI keyboard and it still gave me error 43.
  3. Well after reformatting my computer it has seemed to detect the MIDI keyboard correctly now. I'm wondering if this was brought about because I do not safely remove the USB device. If this is the case and the driver gets corrupt, how could I delete the driver, given windows detects the device as a malfunctioning USB device, still? Thanks.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows XP USB Windows Vista MIDI Components