Sign in with
Your question

New Corsair PSU not working...... help!!!!

Last response: in Components
December 25, 2010 3:12:48 AM

I just bought a new desktop + a Corsair (750w) PSU. Both arrived together and before even using the new computer I wanted to replace the stock psu with the new Corsair. I was able to put in the new PSU with success in a couple hours after thorougly examining where each cable goes.

Then I unplugged everything from my old desktop and plugged into the new one. When I turn on the computer, the desktop botton lights up and I can hear the fan working but nothing shows up on the screen. After a while I knew something was wrong. I opened the desktop up again and put the original PSU back in to see whether the Corsair PSU was malfunctioning or the desktop.

I now know that it was the Corsair PSU that wasn't working. I am using the new desktop with now with the original PSU.

I don't know what went wrong, I plugged the cables into the right places obviously because that's how I was able to put the old PSU back in. The Corsair didn't seem to be broken when I got it so I really have no idea what happened!

Someone please help! :cry: 

More about : corsair psu working

December 25, 2010 3:31:57 AM

These are the cables/connectors the Corsair 750w PSU came with:

x1
ATX 24 pin & 20 pin compatible
(4 pins can be broken off hence 24 & 20)

x1
EPS/ATX12V 8-4 pin

x4
PCI-E 6 pin & 8 pin compatible
(only used 1 of these for the video card)

x8
SATA
(only needed to use 2, don't know why they give you so much)

x8
4 pin peripheral
(absolutely no need)

x2
Floppy
(absolutely no need)

So to break it down, I only used 4 connecters (ATX 24 pin, 2 SATA and the EPS/ATX12v), just like the stock PSU (disregarding the one I used for the video card) and then I'm left with a whole bunch of extra cables that were not needed.

I basically just copied what the stock PSU connected to so I wouldn't make a mistake, but it didn't work!

Here are some specs about my new desktop:
HP p6630f
Intel core i3 550
6 GB RAM
m
l
December 25, 2010 6:18:31 AM

I have a Corsair HX650 modular and it has been working silently in the background for about 6 months. Apply directly to Corsair for RMA information and I'm sure they'll fix you up with a new one. I received a bad XMS2 memory module thru Newegg and Corsair fixed me up in 5 days. The box says my power supply is covered for 7 yrs. I've heard people on the internet say that they're nicely built. Happy Holidays and the best of luck. Dave D.
m
l
Related resources
December 25, 2010 7:17:21 AM

double_d1 said:
I have a Corsair HX650 modular and it has been working silently in the background for about 6 months. Apply directly to Corsair for RMA information and I'm sure they'll fix you up with a new one. I received a bad XMS2 memory module thru Newegg and Corsair fixed me up in 5 days. The box says my power supply is covered for 7 yrs. I've heard people on the internet say that they're nicely built. Happy Holidays and the best of luck. Dave D.

I just realized that it was not the Corsair that was having problems but the Sapphire Vapor-X 5570 Video Card! Every time I connect the PSU to the 5570 the computer won't start! It is only when I disconnect it will it work.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 25, 2010 8:06:43 AM

Is the video cable from the monitor connected to the video card or the motherboard port?
m
l
December 25, 2010 5:20:41 PM

Unolocogringo said:
Is the video cable from the monitor connected to the video card or the motherboard port?

The video cable (6-pin) comes from the Corsair PSU and I connected it to the 5770 video card
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 25, 2010 9:06:27 PM

is it a 5570 or a 5770?
m
l
December 25, 2010 10:29:30 PM

shovenose said:
is it a 5570 or a 5770?

it's a 5770. And I've got it to work! What I was doing wrong was plugging the VGA to the desktop because thats how my old desktop was like. I realized that I needed to plug the VGA to the video card!!!! :lol: 

Thank you everyone for your help !
m
l
!