Any college programs for someone who already has an unrelated degree?

bobdaman18

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
So i graduated in the winter with a BS in Biology with the intention of going on to physical therapy school. I can still do this, but i really have no interest in the field at all, i just like the salary/stability. Before i go any further down that route i want to try my hand at some IT stuff. I've always been interested in computers but the turbulence of the job market has kept me away.

Sooooo...what are the options for someone with a completely unrelated degree? I figured a good start would be to attempt to get some of the basic certifications now (no job so i have plenty of time) and then enroll in programming 1 and 2 over the summer to see how i like it.

If i did end up interested, where would i go from there? Would i go back and get an associated degree? Try to get a second bachelors? Masters? Masters seems to be the accepted thing to do but i'm worried about how i'm going to get a first job when i have a masters and no experience.

I kinda feel crazy right now, turning away from what would seem like a stable, high paying career in PT to try out IT with the off shoring, doom, and gloom that i hear about the field...well, do you like your job? Do you wish you never got into the field? Thoughts?

My son has a BS in Micro Biology. He was accepted straight into the PHd program. After 2 yrs he got real Pi$%off at the prof and told him where he could shove his head.
Make a long story short he is the head if IT at a company makes good salary. Does some work on his own. He did some programing for the Justice Dept and provide MADD with a search engine for searching public court cases. Has a work station in basement that one company stores there records. About 3/4 years ago he did go back and get a masters MBA. He did get some of the microsoft cert, and I'm not sure if he went back an just took some courses in programing, but he did not get a 2nd BS in computer Sci.