Fyrsign

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2003
So, I am still waffling between going wireless or finding another solution to my upcomming networking issues (due to a move at the end of the year). I will be having Comcast Cable (again) and will find myself with some layout issues that make cabling an unattractive option.

I have 8 computers in the household to connect, and 6 of those will be used for gaming (which plays heavily in my final choice, I want to minimize connection quality degredation).

I'm trying to read up on using powerline networking as a solution, but I'm not finding a whole lot of really good non-marketing information to chew through.

Does anyone have experience using something like the "Gigafast 4-port Homeplug Ethernet Bridge, Model PE903-EB" or "LINKSYS Instant PowerLine EtherFast 10/100Mbps Bridge, Model PLEBR10 - Retail"?

I'm also trying to understand the best way to impliment this (right now I've got cable to modem, modem to router, router to comupters and hub, hub to remaining computers... And wires everywhere along the walls...

I am not some amateur-crastinator... I am a PRO-crastinator!

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
I havent had any experience with networking through power lines but it doesn't sound very good. That has data loss written all over it.
I'll do a little power line networking research but I think wireless will be the best solution if you can't run cat5 in the house. Wireless has come a long way and it is pretty decent now. If you want your wireless to be awsome try to score a cisco aironet base station somewhere :)

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>