New card from ATI and Nvidia

monstermankc

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
Does anyone know what the next extreme gaming card from Nivida and ATI will be after the GTX 480 and HD 5970?

Also I am having trouble deciding on either 2 HD 5970's or 3 GTX 480's. Any Advice? should I wait for the next round of cards? When will that be if so?

Solution
Well the 6000 series has the potential to be better then the 400 series.

Also most people here will recommend ATI > Nvidia, at least that how it seems to me. (Not quite sure why...)

What resolution do you play at? 2 480s or a single 5970 should be more then enough at the right resolution.

monstermankc

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010

Will the 6 series work ok with a EVGA 3 x Classified MoBo? Why not Nvidia?

Helltech

Distinguished
Well the 6000 series has the potential to be better then the 400 series.

Also most people here will recommend ATI > Nvidia, at least that how it seems to me. (Not quite sure why...)

What resolution do you play at? 2 480s or a single 5970 should be more then enough at the right resolution.

Solution
No reason why the 6xxx series wouldnt work with your motherboard, all X58 boards support Crossfire. I havent heard any rumors about what the next set of nVidia cards might be, they arent even done filling up the 4xx line up so a new generation of cards is a ways away for them.

A single 480 is fine for most resolutions, if you want max performance grab a single 5970 now and then grab two of the flagship 6xxx series cards once they are released a little later in the year.

monstermankc

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
I have 3 screens running off of 2 x GTX 295's. I run them at 1920x1050.

So you dont think I would have problems with a classified Mobo and an Intel chip with crossfire?

Some people say you shouldnt run ATI cards on X58 boards and intel chips.

Im still learning

Who ever is telling you that is a moron. All P55 and X58 boards are crossfire compatible, their chipset natively supports crossfire and since there is no liscensing fee all the boards do too. There seems to be this strange convoluted theory that people cook up about AMD working better with ATI but this isnt the case, a 5970 will perform just as well on an X58 system as it would on an 890FX board, but X58 board means you have an i7 and an OC'ed i7 removes any relevant CPU bottleneck from the picture, so if we are going to be saying an ATI card works better with anything it works better with an OC'ed i7.

monstermankc

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
Thanks for the help. I think I will wait till November for the ATI 6 series cards and get 2 of them. Unless Nvidia has something up their sleave Im not aware of. I tried Nvidias 3D technology and I wasn't impressed. I did hear that the 6 series may have 3D tech this round though. Id rather have better frame rates and resolution with the ATI cards.