New SSD; System crash on startup with CCC installed

G

Hey,

Yesterday I bought an Intel SSD for my system, and installed Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) with no problems. I installed some other drivers and updated Windows fine, but when I installed Catalyst Control Center and rebooted, my machine powers down when the machine boots into Windows. It doesn't always do it instantly, but usually within a minute the machine shuts off just like someone yanked out the power cord.

This is obviously really frustrating. I spent all day yesterday and tonight trying a bunch of stuff. I've tried a bunch of different versions of CCC, and they all do the same thing. I have also tried just installing the video driver, but it still happens. I never had any problems before, so I don't think it's a hardware problem.

When I uninstall video drivers in safe mode and boot up again, the machine runs fine with no video drivers installed. It doesn't power down like it does if I have installed the drivers. Because of this, I don't think it's a problem with the SSD.

I have already re-installed Windows once and that didn't fix the problem. The last thing I can think of to try would be to install windows again on my old HDD (that I plan to use as storage once I get the SSD working properly) and see if I get any problems. I'll try that if no one here has any suggestions.

Thanks a lot for your help.

System:
Intel Core i7 2.66Ghz
6GH GSkill 1600mhz
Gigabyte UD3 Mobo
Radeon 5850
Intel 40gb SSD
WD Black 1TB HDD
Corsair 850W PSU

G

Thanks for the reply.

I just tried 10.3, and have tried 10.4 and 10.7 (latest). Also tried others. No dice.

With 10.3, the computer ran fine for a minute, I was able to open up GPU-Z (checking temps, etc - everything seemed fine) but after about a minute or two it powered off again. Same problem. It seems some versions let it run for a minute or two and others result in an instant power-down when the computer boots windows. I can sit in BIOS as long as I want with no problems.

I've checked all of the power cables, etc. on the video card and SSD, everything is fine. I don't suspect anything like that to be a problem anyhow, since the computer runs fine with the video drivers not installed.

Any other suggestions anyone? Very frustrated right now!!!

Thanks again.

Yeah, since it will boot fine without video driver then it's obviously driver problem.
Tried the driver inside the CD?

Where did you install the OS? Inside SSD?
If so, then try remove your SSD and use again your Hard Drive...

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
With the Ati graphics drivers (CCC 10.7) installed, boot into Safe Mode and run your computer for about an hour. If it does not power off, then you may try updating your SSD firmware. If it still powers off, you may have inadvertently knocked off the cpu HSF while installing Intel SSD. You may have to reseat it with new thermal paste.

It is also a good idea to reinstall your previous HDD, if you have not wiped it off, as wa1 already suggested and run your computer on it for several hours.

G

Thanks a lot for the help guys - nothing is working, however. I've decided to return the SSD (I bought it at a local retailer) and go back to my old hard drive.

I'm not having other problems with that however, such a headache. I'll make a new thread about that perhaps.

Thanks again.