Repost: Graphics card with two power connectors?

Hi, my computer model is an emachine ET1331-02.
As I've already had enough trouble breaking open the back of the case's metal slots (problem described here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/284059-33-cant-insert-video-card-emachine), now another problem arises.
I'm only 14, and I don't know too much about computers themselves. I recently got this new graphics card to enhance my computer, a Sapphire Radeon HD 4850, and its power connector has two individual slots, and in my machine, I can only see one visible slot to plug it in. Do I need both to power the card? If not, which one do I use (one has 3 wires connected and the other has 5)? And if I do need both.... I only have one slot. Please help me figure this predicament out.

On a side note, in the package with the Radeon HD 4850 came a copper wired thingamabob that says cross fire on it. I have no idea what it's supposed to do.
7 answers Last reply
More about repost graphics card power connectors
  1. What? a HD4850 with 2x 6pin power connector?
    Could you show us the picture of your card?
  2. Sounds like your PSU doesn't have the necessary cables. The crossfire bridge is for linking 2 or more of your graphics cards together to work synergistically.
  3. Yeah, strange, HD4850 with 2x6 pins? Never heard of it.
  4. there where a few ATI 4850 released with 2x6 pin connectors (sapphire had one)

for obvious reasons they failed to sell
  5. ct1615 said:
    there where a few ATI 4850 released with 2x6 pin connectors (sapphire had one)

for obvious reasons they failed to sell

Are those the DDR5 versions?
  6. unknown_13 said:
    Are those the DDR5 versions?

maybe i can't recall. it like the ATI 4860, they came and went just as fast
  7. ct1615 said:
    maybe i can't recall. it like the ATI 4860, they came and went just as fast

Yes the HD4860 was the DDR5 version with 640 shaders (128) instead of 800 (160) shaders.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Computer Power Graphics