Sign in with
Your question

Hard Drive not detected in BIOS (p8p67-m Pro)

Last response: in Motherboards
August 21, 2011 12:23:02 AM

Hello, I was using my few months old home built computer and all of a sudden I got the blue screen of death. After restarting it, it froze at the windows loading screen. I restarted it again and now hard drive is not detected and I get the message:

"Reboot and Select propert Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

(Note: It has recently been getting sluggish and not loading from sleep. I've had to hard restart it a few times). I open the BIOS and it did not detect the hard drive i.e. it was not part of the boot priority list. I only see the DVD drive. Here's what I've tried:

1. Tried using different SATA cables.
2. Change to different SATA 6gb (Gray) ports.
- I had it plugged in the Marvell SATA port before. When I have it plugged in to this drive, the hard drive light (next to the power light at the top of the casing) does not turn on (whereas before I think it flickers abit). Or at least I don't think it did. When the hard drive is plugged into this port, loading it leads to the Marvell initialization -> "No Hard drive detected" message.
- After I switched it to the SATA 6GB Gray ports, the hard drive light turns on initially then goes off. However, it is still not detected. It goes straight to the "Reboot and Select proper Boot device message"
3. I tried to put in my windows 7 CD and it would boot from the disk and send me to the install windows section. But here, the hard drive is also not detected and I could not select the hard drive for windows installation.
4. I brought the hard drive to the computer store and they plugged it into their computer and according to them it works.
5. I plugged in an external hard drive and BIOS detects it.
6. I place my hand on the hard drive and I can feel it spinning. Shacking it results in no alarming sounds as far as I can tell.

I'm stumped. Please help me!!

FYI: I have the following parts:

Motherboard: p8p67-m Pro
Hard Drive: 640GB Western Digital 32MB Cache Caviar Black

Let me know if I'm missing out any info or if there's anything else I should try. Thanks!!
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 206 V Motherboard
August 21, 2011 8:10:24 PM

alantwm said:
4. I brought the hard drive to the computer store and they plugged it into their computer and according to them it works.
6. I place my hand on the hard drive and I can feel it spinning. Shacking it results in no alarming sounds as far as I can tell.

4. Did you actually see your drive working when you took it to the computer store or did you just take their word for it?

6. You should not be shaking a hard disk drive because you can damage it by causing a head crash especially while you're shaking it when it's powered on.

Ask a friend if you can try your drive in their PC to see if it is recognized.
September 16, 2011 3:16:52 AM

something wrong with that HDD,,, ask to the store where you buy that, and ask for replacement i think it's under warranty....
!