Sign in with
Your question

Updating Old Build

Last response: in Systems
September 28, 2010 4:54:41 PM

Hi all, came into a little extra cash recently and was going to try to upgrade my build a little. I've been noticing a little lack of performance in some games and was wondering what would be the best thing to upgrade first. As far as I can tell, I'll probably just get a new video card, but I was wondering if there were any other things that might help. My build consists of:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
8 gigs Ram
Nvidia Geforce 9800GT
M2N32-SLI Deluxe
HDA Explosion 7.1
580 Watt PSU

Win 7 64-bit and Games running on a Raid 5 array
Widescreen monitor 1680x1050

Again, I'm assuming getting a new video card would be my best bet/ probably only option for increasing some game performance without getting a totally new build, but any comments would be appreciated. Thanks

More about : updating build

a c 84 B Homebuilt system
September 28, 2010 5:54:06 PM

It'd help to know what games you're trying to play and what your budget is.

I'll be honest. That's a pretty old build. I can honestly say that it's not worth throwing any more money into the build at this point. Start saving for a new one.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 28, 2010 5:59:44 PM

As thats an AM2 only plate, your kind of limited as to processor upgrades, maybe find a cheaper AM2+ board and newer chip, or take the leap and go AM3 with a new triplecore, all depends on your funds though :) 
But that card does want upgrading as well whatever you do :) 
Moto
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 28, 2010 8:28:44 PM

My old gaming machine is almost exactly what you have. Athlon 64 x2 5600 OC 3.2, 9800 GTX+. I then put a 5770 on it for a few months and it did get a good performance increase out of a video card upgrade. If you want to buy a good graphics card now, you might not get full benefit from it but if you use the card in your next computer it may be worth it (like it was for me). AMD is coming out with the 6000 series CPUs soon so it will probably pay to wait a couple months.

You also might gain a couple FPS by dropping down to 4GB RAM (if you have 4 sticks of 2GB RAM now).

OC the CPU to 3.4 to get some more performance boost for now. Make sure to get a decent CPU cooler.

What games are you playing? Since my son uses that PC as his gaming machine, it should perform pretty close to the same. My 9800 GTX+ might be a bit faster than your 9800GT, though.
m
l
!